Drilling hole in roof (for Avtex AMR985)

ClubMemberB2E9B92945 replied on 03/08/2023 10:39

Posted on 03/08/2023 10:39

Hi,

Soon to be caravan owner (pick up van in a week - Lunar Ultima 560) and looking at mobile internet solutions. I think I have settled on the Avtex AMR985 solution as the neatest one, as don't want cables trailing around the van. I would go for the professional install but having just shelled out a small fortune for the van and other accessories money is now a bit tight. I'm an avid DIY'er and pretty confident undertaking most tasks so from what I've seen online I am pretty comfortable installing the kit, in terms of knowing what I need to do and how I will wire it up.

My one reservation is when it comes to drilling the hole through the caravan roof as I am unsure if there is anything in the roof (e.g. wires) that I should be concerned about? Do caravan's have any potential wires lurking in the roof space?

Any advice gratefully received.

Tinwheeler replied on 03/08/2023 12:54

Posted on 03/08/2023 12:54

It really isn’t the best idea to drill holes in the bodywork of a caravan, especially the roof. Goodness knows, they leak well enough on their own without doing that!

Obviously wiring exists to the lights so the cables could be anywhere.

Simon100 replied on 03/08/2023 21:00

Posted on 03/08/2023 21:00

Have you considered less invasive solutions?

There are many threads on this, and other forum, about mobile internet and many people, myself included use mobile phones as hot spots. 

I uses an old smartphone on EE as a hotspot and can usually get sufficient speed to run a couple of tablets and stream TV.

Falcon do  this system which doesn't involve drilling a whole in the roof

https://falcontechnology.co.uk/product/4g-combo/

eribaMotters replied on 03/08/2023 21:46

Posted on 03/08/2023 21:46

The least invasive diy ways to get a wire into your van are either through the floor or via the area within the mains hook up. I've used the first for bringing in the feed from from my wi-fi booster. It is made from commonly available plumbers fittings with a rubber gasket mounted in Iroko, poor mans teak. The latter is for a co-axial tv feed.

Colin

Amesford replied on 04/08/2023 12:28

Posted on 04/08/2023 12:28

Most of the wire looms run through the cupboards and, in our van there is only one light centred in the middle of the ceiling and that is located on the joining strip of the ceiling panel and if I was to remove the light I could no doubt see which way the wire was running. another tip you can buy a electric detector which looks like a large pen if you pass over any live mains wires in a wall it will beep and flash cost from £4 to £8 from you know were

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook