Delaminating window repair

geoffeales replied on 20/07/2021 17:20

Posted on 20/07/2021 17:20

A few years ago we had a "bird strike" on the M1 (somewhere north of Watford). The end result was a new near-side front window moulded from the pattern of the old broken one, by a company in Halifax called Eco windows. It wasn't cheap, around £400 as I recall, but as there's just about no such thing as an "off the shelf" window we had to bite the bullet, with good help from our insurance company. This year the centre front window delaminated, the moulding adhesive became (16 years) old and the outer sheet parted company from the inner. I fixed the problem with a tube of "no-more-nails" which has done the job but it isn't very pretty. I had it serviced last week and the guy advised that the off-side window's gone the same way. The good news (which I wish I'd known a few months earlier) is that Eco can re-laminate these windows, as long as the owner hasn't used "no-more-nails" to fix it first! I do hope that my all-too hurried decision may help my fellow vanners to get a much more professional job done. It's rapidly becoming clear that our dear old VIP is reaching that moment when some serious decisions will need to be taken. 

redface replied on 20/07/2021 22:20

Posted on 20/07/2021 22:20

Thanks for that Geoff, I am exactly in that position of needing some delaminated windows (17 yrs. old) to be re-sealed 

Gotty1 replied on 21/07/2021 19:59

Posted on 21/07/2021 19:59

Had one of my front windows repaired by eeco a couple of months back couldn’t fault the service dropped it off first thing in the morning and collected it  last thing the same day

JollyKernow replied on 21/07/2021 20:42

Posted on 21/07/2021 20:42

Hi

I found a company called Bondrite that supply various solvents to repair delaminated windows. I have a 2006 swift conqueror and have redone all 3 front windows. If you're handy it's quite an easy job. Remove window, seperate and clean areas to be bonded then apply the bond (has to be done quickly which is the only tricky bit). A 3mm bead all around the edge then push together. I applied g cramps around the edge and left for an hour. The result was great, totally solid and tidy, you'd never know it was repaired. You have to be careful with the bead but with confidence it's an easy job.

JK

geoffeales replied on 03/08/2021 15:38

Posted on 03/08/2021 15:38

As I plan to send mine to ECO to be re-laminated at the end of the season, I've temporarily fixed it by drilling six holes and inserting rubber pull-through rivets to hold the two halves together. I'm feeling quite chuffed with myself. Have also ordered a front towing cover hopefully to catch the window if my fix doesn't hold!!!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook