Damage to 13 pin lead

MJSM replied on 23/04/2023 18:55

Posted on 23/04/2023 18:55

Despite nearly two decades of caravanning I recently suffered from 13 pin lead grounding whilst towing.  Trip was relatively short and damage cut through protective sheathing and began to wear away insulation on two of the wires, exposing the copper. (Any longer trip and the wires would have completely worn through).  A temporary repair with insulation tape to the wires and duct tape wrapped round the lead was sufficient to complete the journey with fully functioning driving lights on the caravan.

A replacement 13 pin lead is the obvious solution,  The problem is that the caravan end of the cable appears not to be accessible without deconstructing the front central chest of drawers, the holiday season is approaching....and so -

Questions for discussion, if this were to happen to you:

1. How long would you run with a functioning temporary repair?

2. Would you attempt to fit a replacement lead yourself?

3. What is your guess for a dealer fitted replacement?

Cornersteady replied on 23/04/2023 19:21

Posted on 23/04/2023 19:21

Answers:

1. Till I could get it fixed which for me would really mean the next day even if that means getting a mobile engineer on site.

2. No, as I'm not competent on things like that.

3. This did happen to me with the plug falling out and it wasn't that expensive, but really for me anyway isn't the cost totally besides the point? What price is there for safety?

Dave Nicholson replied on 23/04/2023 19:51

Posted on 23/04/2023 19:51

If the cable is sound through the front locker then cut the cable back and fit a plug inside the locker. Use a 13 pin extension cable from the plug to your tow vehicle.

SteveL replied on 23/04/2023 22:49

Posted on 23/04/2023 22:49

When it happened to us the damage was fairly severe, although  I did manage a bodge job in the motorway services to get the lights functioning again. As it was going in for something else I got the dealer to sort it. They put a waterproof connector on the underside of the caravan and a new bit of lead from there to the 13 pin plug. I can’t remember how much but it wasn’t particularly expensive and a lot easier than me lying on my back under the caravan.😂

KjellNN replied on 24/04/2023 00:48

Posted on 24/04/2023 00:48

Most front chests of drawers can be removed fairly easily.   Take a close look at how it is held in place, certainly ours (Swift group van) is easily removed.

Burgundy replied on 24/04/2023 09:56

Posted on 24/04/2023 09:56

It happened to me in France, I cut the outer cable back to get at the individual cables which had shorted and blown a fuse. Three damaged cables which I taped over the taped over the outer cable. On retuning home I looked at replacing the cable, but it enters the van (Elddis) under the bed locker behind the fuse box with collection of wires for mains 12volt and motor mover cables and box. I decided to cut back cable and reposition plug at rear of A frame ang used a curly extension as attached photo. I clipped the cable to the chassis rail using clips from the front end of A frame either side of the join. I always hook th curly cable over the lever for jockey wheel clamp to stop it bouncing and contacting the ground. Been ok for four years now.

Amesford replied on 24/04/2023 12:34

Posted on 24/04/2023 12:34

If you could get some electrical tape between the single cables to  insulate them from each other then use "self amalgamating tape" round the outer lead to make it weather proof and this should suffice till you can get it changed providing you have not worn through too many strands of the wire in the lead.

KjellNN replied on 26/04/2023 20:25

Posted on 26/04/2023 20:25

In our case, no screws are involved!

The chest has an oversize base board which slots under a piece of wood at the front of the van then the front of the base sits down behind another piece of wood.  The extended sides then go out under the front seats  base cushions to sit  on those base supports.  

So it is  just a matter of lifting the front of the chest a little and pulling it towards you once you have the base cushions out of  the way.

We had an unfortunate incident with ours a couple of years back.  The magnets holding the back of the drawers failed to do  their job and the drawers,  and pull out table top, had come sliding out  presumably due to a bumpy bit of road.   Due to the combined  weight of the drawers, contents, and table top, the whole thing had tipped over and ended up upside down in the space between the front seats.  Quite a mess greeted us when we opened the door on arrival at our site!!

Actually the whole thing  did not tip off the supporting structure, the chest with drawers and contents had ripped itself free of the oversize base board, it remained firmly in place.

Once I had repaired it and improved the hold of the magnets, I devised a system for tying it into place while travelling, so there has been no repeat of the debacle.

clarinetman replied on 28/04/2023 11:10

Posted on 28/04/2023 11:10

When this happened to me the service engineer rerouted the cable under the caravan to create more cable at the plug end, fitted a new plug and off we go.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook