Corner Steady Guides

Pippah45 replied on 04/09/2022 10:57

Posted on 04/09/2022 10:57

I wonder if anyone can help - my Bailey Phoenix has the corner steadies at the rear - well recessed under the van.  I would much prefer not to kneel down to locate them properly!  In another forum I have seen 32mm piping used with two suggestions as to how to anchor them.  I feel that screws may not be the most sensible way?  Plus would a glue gun hold them in place for long?  

My previous Swift has them brilliantly accessible - come on manufacturers - please!  Surely even the young don't need to have a struggle with these.  

Thanks in advance 

Pippah45 replied on 04/09/2022 11:25

Posted on 04/09/2022 11:25

Yes JVB - the Phoenix has a handle fitted "to assist getting in and out of the caravan" they didn't ask a mobility challenged person when they fixed it in an impossible place!  I had a Fiamma external handle fitted to keep the dog in if I go to the toilet block and to help me safely in and out!  

Pippah45 replied on 04/09/2022 15:18

Posted on 04/09/2022 15:18

Thank you very much Tinwheeler.  I couldn't find a sensible place to attach the cable ties without drilling so have ended up glue gunning it with a bit of duct tape to help!  I will just have to see if they survive a trip to Scotland soon :)  

Navigateur replied on 04/09/2022 16:21

Posted on 04/09/2022 16:21

I also have a Bailey with deeply inset corner steadies.  Not found any problem as I use an impact gun and just put on a long extension to use at the rear. There is a small indentation in the bottom of the rear skirt so that it clears the winder, and I use that to guide my eye.  If there wasn't, I'd stick on a little bit of coloured tape as I've done for the waste water outlets.

Tinwheeler replied on 04/09/2022 16:40

Posted on 04/09/2022 15:18 by Pippah45

Thank you very much Tinwheeler.  I couldn't find a sensible place to attach the cable ties without drilling so have ended up glue gunning it with a bit of duct tape to help!  I will just have to see if they survive a trip to Scotland soon :)  

Posted on 04/09/2022 16:40

It’s worth a shot, Pippa. Enjoy Scotland.

jennyc replied on 05/09/2022 23:06

Posted on 05/09/2022 23:06

How about.

Make your guides from plumbing plastic waste pipe. It’s available in 1.25” and 1.5” diameters. Also buy four plastic pipe clips to hold it. Screw strips of wood underneath the caravan’s floor, so that you can attach the pipe clips with the right spacing.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook