caravan support in storage

VILLAN replied on 19/09/2023 15:58

Posted on 19/09/2023 15:58

Owing to health problems my elderly Abbey caravan will be in storage for a prolong period this coming winter.

To prevent any damage/deterioration to the tyres Iintent to jack up the caravan and remove the wheels and store  them in my garage.

Alko jacking brackets are fitted to the chassis and I have amodified bottle jackthat does the job. Unfortunately with the motor mover located in front of the wheel and the jack placed at the rear of the wheel /suspension arm I am unable to reach behind the wheels to place an axle stand or support under the axle.

I am considering using 4 large wooden blocks placed under the chassis (one just in front of the motor mover and one to the rear of the jack on each side of the van)

With these blocks in place and the corner steadys lowered the van should be well supported and stable.

However as Alko state that jacks should not be used to raise the caravan as damage/distortion to the chassis could occur I would appreciate any thoughts / comments / advice regarding any damage that may occur using this method of support.

Tinwheeler replied on 19/09/2023 16:16

Posted on 19/09/2023 16:16

How about something like this to replace your wheels over the winter?

https://www.towsure.com/bulldog-wl10-locking-caravan-winter-wheels?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0IPp0vq2gQMV2ZRoCR1b1gG5EAQYASABEgL-6fD_BwE

This assumes your storage site has no rules prohibiting immobilising your van.

A cheaper solution, although not so secure, might be to get a couple of wheels from a caravan scrapper as it won’t matter about the tyres on them.

RogerP1956 replied on 19/09/2023 17:06

Posted on 19/09/2023 17:06

I am not in favour of using wooden support, particularly if left un attended for long periods. I always feel there is a risk of compression, rot, collapse that would leave undue pressure on the steadies.

If you are planning to remove the wheels anyway, once they are removed is there enough chassis exposed and improved access to use the axle stands that you mentioned?

The idea of using scrapper wheels is great and probably quite cheap but let the tyres down so that you rest on the rims, otherwise a slow puncture will again put excessive loads on your steadies.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook