Car-caravan connector pulled out while towing

TerryKW replied on 29/05/2023 19:06

Posted on 29/05/2023 19:06

Our Car-caravan connector pulled out while towing, we didn't realize until stopping at services on the M1. The connector had clearly been dragging along the road and was destroyed. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might have happened? We always try to make sure there is some 'play' in the cable when hitching up, but on the other hand not too much so there is no chance of the cable being grounded. Do I need to just get a new connector, or do I have to buy the complete cable set?

Its a 13 pin arrangement, and the van is an Eldis Chatsworth (2 berth avanti).

commeyras replied on 29/05/2023 19:24

Posted on 29/05/2023 19:24

Surprised the connector pulled out as you have to turn it when connecting to the car side and the lid acts as a locking device.  You should get away with just a new 13 pin connector but also check the car side as this should not have happened. Tip.  If the wiring is still connected to the 'destroyed' connector cut the wiring leaving it still 'wired up'.  This will give you a useful guide to which wire goes to which pin!

dave the rave replied on 29/05/2023 20:04

Posted on 29/05/2023 20:04

On two occasions my 13 pin plug came apart while driving.The plugs involved were a popular brand sold by caravan shops in the month of may!After the last episode I purchased a plug made by a well known german company Hella.I have had no problem since fitting it 2 years ago!Commeyras has given good advice regards wiring connections.

KjellNN replied on 29/05/2023 20:39

Posted on 29/05/2023 20:39

It does pay to buy a good quality 13 pin plug.  

I fitted an inexpensive one to our previous van and noted it had started deteriorating after less than a year, so when I fitted the one to our current van, just over 15 years back, I  also bought a Hella plug.   Still going strong.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook