Calor Lite 6kg propane advice

Donna A replied on 21/06/2021 14:14

Posted on 21/06/2021 14:14

Hi have recently purchased my first caravan and it came with 2 of the above gas bottles, one practically empty the other full.

I never camp with EHU as I’m generally in a field in the middle of nowhere, just an Elsan point and drinking water tap provided. 

I can’t get hold of these bottles for replacement, seems they have been discontinued(such a shame). And I now don’t know what to do as the bottles I am being recommended in my head are much bigger and heavier, great until you need to lift a full one in, but also looking in the front of my caravan a 2005 Swift Challenger 480 2 berth it doesn’t even look like it has the room for a bigger bottle to sit and also then will they be the same connectors? 

DavidKlyne replied on 21/06/2021 15:16

Posted on 21/06/2021 15:16

Donna

If you want to continue with lightweight cylinders you will either have to go for a refillable solution or perhaps change over to Flogas Light. The Flogas are dumpier so you would have to check the storage in the van. Calor do a 6kgs steel cylinder but its heavy compared with the to the Calor Lite. 

David

Donna A replied on 21/06/2021 16:48

Posted on 21/06/2021 14:33 by eurortraveller

Two of these?

Posted on 21/06/2021 16:48

Hi euro traveller from Cornwall, thanks for that what size are these please and do you know how long they last in comparison to the lite’s?

Donna A replied on 21/06/2021 16:51

Posted on 21/06/2021 15:16 by DavidKlyne

Donna

If you want to continue with lightweight cylinders you will either have to go for a refillable solution or perhaps change over to Flogas Light. The Flogas are dumpier so you would have to check the storage in the van. Calor do a 6kgs steel cylinder but its heavy compared with the to the Calor Lite. 

David

Posted on 21/06/2021 16:51

Thanks Davidklyne, I thought refillable went against what the caravan club recommended?  I presume changing to flo gas would mean I have two bottles I can’t trade in so I would have to start from scratch?

SteveL replied on 21/06/2021 18:01

Posted on 21/06/2021 18:01

Given that you say you won’t be using EHU, I would have thought a refillable would be the way to go, as you will be getting through quite a bit. The fridge alone will get through a fair bit, add on water heating for washing up / showers and possibly a bit of heating and using Calor will get rather expensive. Using a refillable, 6Kg will cost you between £7 and £9, as compared to £20 / £25 for Calor. Worth checking if you have somewhere convenient that will let you fill them. Morrison’s garages that stock LPG is one supplier that allow it, and the price is very reasonable at 58p a litre.

Depending how long you are going to spend away, you may also need to look at how you recharge your leisure battery. Possibly a solar panel. 12 volt is required for the fridge control panel, water pump and heating controls, plus of course lighting.

JVB66 replied on 21/06/2021 18:48

Posted on 21/06/2021 18:48

The 6kg calor lite are being withdrawn the normal 6kg calor  cylinders are the same size but made of steel. Although they may be heavier They are the same dimensions  as the lite, 

May I suggest you take your full light to a dealer and ask if you can judge for yourself if it would be too heavy for you

Also if you look on the aluminium Collar. of your cylinders it will give the weight you could check that against a 6kg steel to see the diference 

Donna A replied on 21/06/2021 19:15

Posted on 21/06/2021 19:15

Hi Steven, I had a solar panel knowing I won’t have much access to EHU. So only really running fridge and hot water from gas and maybe a bit of heating, am usually only away max 3 nights so far.

really do need to sort an alternative though ASAP.

I thought the 6kg steels were quite a lot bigger? 

SteveL replied on 21/06/2021 20:11

Posted on 21/06/2021 20:11

I thought the 6kg steels were quite a lot bigger?

As JVB mentioned the 6kg steel Calor is exactly the same size as the light, but a fair bit heavier. The refills are also usually a few pounds less than the light. Although you are buying the same amount of gas.

redface replied on 21/06/2021 22:13

Posted on 21/06/2021 22:13

I thought that there was a current shortage of 6KG, steel bottles (propane) have to say that I have had great difficulty in getting one without success so far.   

I am not prepared to pay the prices quoted on Amazon for full bottles.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook