Burner unit damaged on sold caravan

EverySecondCounts replied on 08/04/2023 08:46

Posted on 08/04/2023 08:46

Hi all

We sold our first caravan a few weeks ago - it was 23 years old, we had bought it 2 years ago.  We sold it and upgraded.

We are still novices at this.  We had the van for sale at £2800, the purchaser reduced the price to £2050 on account of wear and tear we didn't pick up when purchased - crack in the bodywork, the fridge wasn't opearing off the gas supply.  I was happy with this reduction.

The chap has messaged me v upset because apparently the heating unit (Truma Therme, not sure what model) does not work off the gas either - not something we ever did, we always ran it off the electricity).  He is adamant that he insisted this work off the gas (which he may well have done, I probably didn't pick him up on it).  He is not asking for a refund, but I feel somewhat guilty about this.  Yes, yes, buyer beware, but I wouldn't like to be in a similar position.

I don't know where he lives, i have a phone number.  Can anyone recommend a gas fired heater that doesn't cost £200+? I am fine with replacing to an extent the unit.

Hot water works fine, all lights work, toilet cassette works, just the heater off the bottle, which I never once turned on.

Tinwheeler replied on 08/04/2023 09:16

Posted on 08/04/2023 09:16

To me that sounds like a try on. My advice is to tell him it’s now his problem. He should have tested the heating before buying.

He’s bought a cheap caravan and already had a reduction of £750. He didn’t give you an address so presumably you didn’t give him a receipt of any sort bearing the words “sold as seen”. 

Give in this time and he’ll be back for more.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 08/04/2023 09:27

Posted on 08/04/2023 09:27

It could be abused for sure. Scenario-the guy might have a few other jobs done on other things by a friendly gas fitter then pass you the bill. Suggestion-tell the buyer to get the work done & offer a contribution. If it’s inflated make it a small contribution. If a smaller bill then offer a contribution you’re happy withπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Š

PS-this could go on & on🀷🏻‍♂️

eribaMotters replied on 08/04/2023 09:37

Posted on 08/04/2023 09:37

You have sold in good faith, exampled by the drop on a fair price at the time as a fault was noticed. Anything 23 years old will have a few faults and it is up to the buyer to see and accept or walk. You would not buy a 23 year old car and expect new performance and condition.

Colin

jennyc replied on 14/04/2023 21:08

Posted on 14/04/2023 21:08

I’m sympathetic with your feelings that you don’t want to let other people down. I’d feel guilty too. The problem is that your old boiler repair will probably cost more than the caravan is worth if you have it done at a dealer.. A compétant DIYr might fit a scrapyard replacement, but it’ll be a lot of effort and not terribly cheap. In many respects, for peace of mind, it’s worth selling to a dealer for less money, and if faults are found letting them make repairs out of a bigger pot of money.

As your buyer is presumably a complete novice, it might be useful to have a travelling mechanic look at the fault, for an assessment. They tend to be people who know how to patch things up in a way that dealers can’t be bothered with. Subsequent decisions to be dependent on cost.

LLM replied on 14/04/2023 22:14

Posted on 14/04/2023 22:14

You are a private seller.  The purchaser is entirely responsible for ensuring his or her purchase is as he or she wants.

Caveat emptor the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made absolutely applies in this case.  

If you agree to pay for a repair, in whole or in part, in this instance you risk setting a precedent and there is a realistic chance he will find another reason to ask for more.  

I suggest you now do nothing.  If he phones ask for his name and address then write to him simply saying that you sold the van to him "as seen" and it is now entirely his responsibility.  You are not at fault.  Do not make any form of apology or invite a response.  

replied on 15/04/2023 08:07

Posted on 15/04/2023 08:07

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook