Best practice for putting my caravan back into sto

Peewac replied on 01/05/2023 21:05

Posted on 01/05/2023 21:05

Hi my wife and I are pretty new to caravaning and looking for a few tips regarding storing our van in between trips we have a Bailey unicorn II

1. Should we take out the battery every time and trickle charge ?

2 If not is it good practice to switch everything of at the fuse box?

3.maybe a really stupid question but does the leisure battery get recharged whilst connected to EHU or car during towing ?

Any tips or answers to the above would be really helpful and much appreciated

EmilysDad replied on 01/05/2023 21:22

Posted on 01/05/2023 21:22

1 .... depends how long you're leaving it. If a few weeks, then no. If a few months, then yes would be a good idea.

2 .... more recent caravan generally have some kind of 'OFF' switch near/over the door.

3 .... assuming your car is fully wired up properly, then yes, it'll charge as you tow

eribaMotters replied on 01/05/2023 21:37

Posted on 01/05/2023 21:37

Off tack a little, do you have a cover. If so then I'd throw this on if you are not away for a few weeks. It may sound a faff but it is a damn site easier to put on than it is to clean your van.

Colin

Cornersteady replied on 01/05/2023 21:40

Posted on 01/05/2023 21:40

2. Ours has two off switches, one at the fuse box and one above the door, if the one at the fuse box (labelled system) is off the one at the door is always off. The system one also controls two other off switches, one for the charger when on EHU, another one for the space and water heater. The car charging will happen even if the system switch is set to off, well it does on ours.

Is it good practice to switch everything off, I have no idea but we always do. Do you have a tracker or alarm system that needs power? (we don't).

Our tracker was independently powered 

Rob31 replied on 15/05/2023 16:40

Posted on 15/05/2023 16:40

In addition to the electrics you need to consider the water system, which needs draining down, which I failed to do this last winter and was caught out with the casing split where the pump enters the caravan, costing me an expensive repair for a new truma pump housing. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook