Battery Problems or is it Solar?

andytyneandwear replied on 28/09/2022 21:08

Posted on 28/09/2022 21:08

I have a Bailey Unicorn 3 Valencia with a factory fitted 100w solar panel, a new Banner battery fitted 2 years ago but just lately taking the van off the drive it seemed very sluggish on the motor mover. On checking in bright sunlight the battery seems to be charging at 13.6 volts but switching on the lights (all LED) radio and heating circulating pump (not the heating) after about 30mins the battery voltage drops below 10V still in bright sunlight and the charger shows battery charging ok.  Any ideas?

Freedom a whitebox replied on 29/09/2022 06:10

Posted on 29/09/2022 06:10

Check to see that the charge controller is working (flashing light) located above fridge.

check fuse for solar panel, under bed just before wiring loom disappears through floor 

and the obvious that all connections are tight 

The solar panel  on the Valencia will happy keep two batteries charged, as i plug in my Nissan Navara ( to the spare contacts - second battery) when I’m not using it

JollyKernow replied on 29/09/2022 15:15

Posted on 29/09/2022 15:15

Afternoon

If your battery drops that much in that short a time with only the items you mention switched on, then I'd say it's the battery. The draw by those items would be compensated by the sun on the panel.

Take battery off, charge it fully at home, then put a multimeter on it 24 hours later. It should read at least 12.6 volts.

JK

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook