Battery Charger

aamcle replied on 16/11/2021 09:17

Posted on 16/11/2021 09:17

I'm about to replace my battery and I would like to ask advice about the best type of charger to buy.

I don't store the van at home so there is no power to it for weeks or months over winter and I have to use the motor mover to get it out of its storage slot and onto my car, there isn't room just to hook up  and tow my van away 

As I need the battery to be charged when I collect the van I usually remove the battery when I returned the van to storage and  charge it at home re-fitting it before using the van.

What is the best type/brand/model of charger for this type of use?    

I don't have solar although I may consider it eventually.

Thanks All. 

young thomas replied on 16/11/2021 09:25

Posted on 16/11/2021 09:25

Of the battery is to be charged at home (sounds like the best solution for you) then there are many recommendations for C-Tek chargers along with three stage chargers from Aldi and Lidl.

Amesford replied on 16/11/2021 09:57

Posted on 16/11/2021 09:57

I have three one of the Aldi ones plus a commercial made 6 amp charger and a 2amp home made trickle charger, I must admit I prefer to use the the old transformer rectifier type using my multimeter in series with battery charger to keep an eye on the current if it slowly drops all is well and remember you only get out what you put in 

Nick Waller replied on 16/11/2021 12:48

Posted on 16/11/2021 12:48

I use a small standalone solar panel from Aldi that I leave connected when the caravan is not in use. Also, I would disconnect the battery from the caravan when it is in storage which will reduce the amount it discharges. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook