Bailey Pursuit charger problem

Chickenchaser replied on 25/08/2022 19:19

Posted on 25/08/2022 19:19

We've been on hook up for a fortnight and last night when looking at the 12v panel I noticed the battery was showing under 12v. We're due to go home tomorrow. Usually the battery shows 14v so assumed it might be the charger. The battery is only 18 months old. Checked the consumer unit and the charger circuit breaker had tripped. I pushed it back up one and it sprung down, but then pushed it again and it engaged and has been there since. The charger still indicates under 12v so I would assume that the charger isn't working? (I would expect it to jump to 13.8v again whilst boosting the battery?)

Checking the vehicle fuses on the front panel they all look to be intact. 

Anything else i need to check? Does this suggest that the charger is goosed?

hitchglitch replied on 25/08/2022 19:27

Posted on 25/08/2022 19:27

Based on what you have said it seems likely that the charger is faulty. Irrespective of the battery condition the voltage should show 13 - 14 volts when on EHU. I believe that the Pursuit has a fairly basic charger, not something like a Sargent system with intelligent charging.

Arch replied on 26/08/2022 08:46

Posted on 26/08/2022 08:46

I have had the same problem the van was 5 years old I had to replace the charger.

commeyras replied on 26/08/2022 10:06

Posted on 26/08/2022 10:06

Yes, sounds like a charger problem.  I had to replace mine a couple of years ago whilst on a site in Devon.  But to ensure, run a meter over the battery terminals when plugged into mains and see if battery charging.  Quite a straight forward replacement and there are a number of videos on You Tube showing how simple it is; would take a mobile Engineer less than an hour to do if you feel you can't do it yourself.

Chickenchaser replied on 26/08/2022 23:09

Posted on 26/08/2022 23:09

Thanks all for the advice. It's probably something I'll do myself, so I'll check out that link once I've had the opportunity to run a meter over it. Ive got the battery on a smart charger at the moment as I didn't want to have to fork out for a new battery too. 

unclejohn56 replied on 13/02/2023 12:48

Posted on 26/08/2022 10:06 by commeyras

Yes, sounds like a charger problem.  I had to replace mine a couple of years ago whilst on a site in Devon.  But to ensure, run a meter over the battery terminals when plugged into mains and see if battery charging.  Quite a straight forward replacement and there are a number of videos on You Tube showing how simple it is; would take a mobile Engineer less than an hour to do if you feel you can't do it yourself.

Posted on 13/02/2023 12:48

Hi, 

The charger on my Bailey 560/5 has the opposite issue, showed 16v after charging overnight!  The heating has over voltage protection so that’s ok but the radio failed quite noisily on Sunday. The battery seems to have survived and shows just over 13.5v thankfully. 
Do you know where the charger is located so I can bin it and put something better in that will maintain it rather than fry it!  I assume it’s lurking behind the front fuse and breaker box?

Thanks for your help 

commeyras replied on 13/02/2023 14:32

Posted on 13/02/2023 14:32

On my Ranger 520/4 the charger is on the rear of the control box with all the fuses on.  Mine is located under the front nearside bed.  Access is quite straightforward once you have removed the unit.  Remove the 4 screws from the top of the unit and you will be able to lift out the charger.   

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook