Bailey Madrid problems

Gilera replied on 07/04/2023 10:05

Posted on 07/04/2023 10:05

I wonder if anyone can give me any feedback on the Bailey Unicorn Madrid S5 quality.Just about to order a new one but have just heard of some concerning quality problems.

Having had vans over many years I am aware of this industry and the overall quality and lead times should you need parts so would like some comments before I venture any further with my purchase.

The comments seem to be related to the 2021/22 production run where I have heard Bailey themselves admit quality was poor. 

My current van is a Coachman VIP 520 2021,I have had a couple of these in the past but I noted when collecting this one the quality has gone down in comparison to previous ones.

eribaMotters replied on 07/04/2023 12:40

Posted on 07/04/2023 12:40

If you have heard about "some concerning quality problems", would it not be best to put your money into another brand? If anything did go wrong you would always regret the decision you made on the purchase.

Colin

flumpetting replied on 07/04/2023 13:02

Posted on 07/04/2023 13:02

I have nothing 'factual' however, I've been looking at the Madrid too, for some time (2-3 years).  I've been advised from my local dealer that Bailey are the better quality' of the major brands, especially above Swift, who sells both. (though i'm sure there are people who will argue otherwise based on experience).  The dealer has also said the ones made during covid and up to last year were really poor quality due to demand outstripping supply, resources, personnel and product availability (hence my delay in purchasing).  i would hope these issues are now beginning to settle down. 

My preferred option is a 2018/19 built before covid struck....

If it's build quality you're after, look to the European ones, however that comes with it's own issues regarding servicing, upgrades and parts should you need them...

Gilera replied on 07/04/2023 14:30

Posted on 07/04/2023 14:30

Thank you for comments.

Have looked at European before but not keen on the layouts.

Yes I am keen on quality coming from the Aerospace industry but felt this was maintained by the quality control department somewhere I am not sure exists today.

I started caravanning when you could buy quality vans remembering my Bessacarr 550GL,although not my first van, a van that I still miss today.Unfortunately Swift bought up this brand and then finally dropped it.

Had a Madrid before when Alutech first came out but moved that on when the upholstery went flat and it felt like sitting on the slats.

Our current Coachman upholstery shows signs of sagging at 2 years old.

I note the 2023 Baileys and Coachman now show sprung upholstery as a upgrade.

The feed back I had about Bailey came from a person who has a year old Cabrera which he says had no ATC fitted when he got it,fitted later by the dealer,window blinds falling off,fridge had to be replaced albeit with a upgrade plus numerous other faults.

Thanks again,

Mike

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook