Axle stands / jacking up caravan

ScreenNameB00491F875 replied on 18/02/2023 15:48

Posted on 18/02/2023 15:48

Need to delaminate the van floor, bought the kit for doing it from underneath to save taking the limo up. I’m a larger fella and can’t get under the van so need to jack it up and then prop it whilst I go in and do the job.

Don’t fancy having the thing fall on me so safety is first concern , anyone got any tips?
was thinking of trolley jack each corner then axle stands, then go round again and raise again?
Advice welcome 

eribaMotters replied on 18/02/2023 16:20

Posted on 18/02/2023 16:20

Do not use a trolley jack on the corners. They are steadies and no more than that. You could do serious damage to the van.

For 10 or so years I've stored my caravan on axle stands. I move things around inside so the van is see-saw like in it's loading. If you cannot get this then attach it to the car if possible.  I raise all the steadies so they are a few inches clear of the floor, leave the jockey wheel in contact with the floor and then start to jack the van.

I use a trolley jack on the axle, as close to the wheel as possible to ensure stability, but allowing space for the axle stand. Axle stands at the ready and a piece of plywood to stand each on. My lovely other half stands near the jockey wheel to apply a stabilising hand if needed. 

Once you can get a stand under the axle then carefully release the jack as it can drop quickly.

Best of luck.

Colin

dave the rave replied on 18/02/2023 19:01

Posted on 18/02/2023 15:48 by ScreenNameB00491F875

Need to delaminate the van floor, bought the kit for doing it from underneath to save taking the limo up. I’m a larger fella and can’t get under the van so need to jack it up and then prop it whilst I go in and do the job.

Don’t fancy having the thing fall on me so safety is first concern , anyone got any tips?
was thinking of trolley jack each corner then axle stands, then go round again and raise again?
Advice welcome 

Posted on 18/02/2023 19:01

After attempting repairs to delaminated floors from underneath which are seldom successful and extremely messy I would advise using a sharp stanley knife to cut the lino in the affected area.Usually one can cut a line down a "plank" in the lino and along the base of a seat or kitchen cabinet,lift the effected area carefully and fold back out of the way without creasing,after the glue has gone off and the lumps and bumps smoothed out the lino can be glued back down.Be aware that the ambient temp.needs to be as shown on the kit,the van needs to be level and no matter how careful you are it will be messy.Enjoy!

twocals replied on 18/02/2023 20:23

Posted on 18/02/2023 20:23

Agree with fluffy one

If you look on discussions 3yrs ago under floor bounce i have detailed the procedure. Successful repair. Take your time and it is so easy.

ScreenNameB00491F875 replied on 19/02/2023 11:31

Posted on 18/02/2023 16:20 by eribaMotters

Do not use a trolley jack on the corners. They are steadies and no more than that. You could do serious damage to the van.

For 10 or so years I've stored my caravan on axle stands. I move things around inside so the van is see-saw like in it's loading. If you cannot get this then attach it to the car if possible.  I raise all the steadies so they are a few inches clear of the floor, leave the jockey wheel in contact with the floor and then start to jack the van.

I use a trolley jack on the axle, as close to the wheel as possible to ensure stability, but allowing space for the axle stand. Axle stands at the ready and a piece of plywood to stand each on. My lovely other half stands near the jockey wheel to apply a stabilising hand if needed. 

Once you can get a stand under the axle then carefully release the jack as it can drop quickly.

Best of luck.

Colin

Posted on 19/02/2023 11:31

Thanks for this, yes I will be jacking up on axel points not steadies.

ScreenNameB00491F875 replied on 19/02/2023 12:12

Posted on 18/02/2023 20:23 by twocals

Agree with fluffy one

If you look on discussions 3yrs ago under floor bounce i have detailed the procedure. Successful repair. Take your time and it is so easy.

Posted on 19/02/2023 12:12

Thanks for the reply, I’ll hunt it out and have look.

ScreenNameB00491F875 replied on 19/02/2023 12:16

Posted on 18/02/2023 19:01 by dave the rave

After attempting repairs to delaminated floors from underneath which are seldom successful and extremely messy I would advise using a sharp stanley knife to cut the lino in the affected area.Usually one can cut a line down a "plank" in the lino and along the base of a seat or kitchen cabinet,lift the effected area carefully and fold back out of the way without creasing,after the glue has gone off and the lumps and bumps smoothed out the lino can be glued back down.Be aware that the ambient temp.needs to be as shown on the kit,the van needs to be level and no matter how careful you are it will be messy.Enjoy!

Posted on 19/02/2023 12:16

Thanks for the reply. 
I have seen a few videos showing it done from the top and the issue always seems to be the mess left behind, uneven bumps on floor and Lino not fitting back as well as you may like.

the kit I bought is supposedly designed for injection from underneath and cost about 3 times the price of the standard stuff.

may have to wait for slightly warmer weather to apply

Will report back how it goes

dave the rave replied on 19/02/2023 14:43

Posted on 19/02/2023 12:16 by ScreenNameB00491F875

Thanks for the reply. 
I have seen a few videos showing it done from the top and the issue always seems to be the mess left behind, uneven bumps on floor and Lino not fitting back as well as you may like.

the kit I bought is supposedly designed for injection from underneath and cost about 3 times the price of the standard stuff.

may have to wait for slightly warmer weather to apply

Will report back how it goes

Posted on 19/02/2023 14:43

In my days (18 years) of working at a caravan dealership as you can imagine I and other staff repaired quite a few floors.The injection from underneath rarely made a lasting repair and for the sake of good customer relations we gave up with injecting from below.Lumps and bumps after the repair would be down to poor workmanship and providing a sharp stanley knife (new blade) is used to cut the lino (vertical cut) along the joint of the plank effect then warm the lino gently and use an adhesive that allows movement then the joint will be invisible.All down to taking care.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook