Awning size

Gmartin7 replied on 15/01/2021 04:23

Posted on 15/01/2021 04:23

Hi,

I am looking for an awning for our compass 840, ideally looking for one from the rear of the van to the front living room window, so will come down between the door and living room window. Can anyone recommend the exact size?

Any specific awnings people would recommend would be great?

Any pictures would also be great.

Thanks.

JollyKernow replied on 15/01/2021 13:43

Posted on 15/01/2021 13:43

Hi

The easiest way is to measure the awning rail from the point at the living room window to the rear of the van where you want it positioned. Porch awnings come in many different sizes and prices but your measurement will determine what you need.

JK

KjellNN replied on 15/01/2021 14:51

Posted on 15/01/2021 14:51

Do you have any other windows in that side of the van, and is your toilet cassette access on that side?  If so, do you want it inside the awning?

Our van is a similar length to yours, we have a small window towards the back but plenty of room from the front edge of our door opening to beyond the window, but before the cassette door, for a 3.9m porch.  Could even be a bit bigger.

If you have access to the van, the best plan is to measure up accurately

geoffeales replied on 16/01/2021 12:00

Posted on 16/01/2021 12:00

Most awning websites will help you with measurements. We're big fans of Kampa AIR awnings and their site has a really useful section on how to measure for exactly what you want. One tip, since air-awnings are so easy assemble go for the largest and don't mess about with porch-sized!

Phishing replied on 16/01/2021 21:28

Posted on 16/01/2021 21:28

Really depends on what you intend to use it for. If you want to live sit and make it into a room then go big.

If its for keeping the chairs, coats, dogs, boots etc then go smaller.

looking at a picture of the van it seems to have a window close to back and the toilet cassette. You really need to avoid the window and the hatch as it is hard to seal properly over these. Also, you need to have the awing on a horizontal bit of the rail, if you have a porch awning and it goes around the corner even a few inches it can be a right pain trying to get it squared up. 

Also remember the bigger the heavier, big awnings weigh a lot.

As far as recommendation we have a Dorema Mistral all season tencate large porch awning, 7 years old, its had a hard life and is still intact, no stains, clear windows etc. so happy to recommend. 

Its a 3m one and if we replace it will be for a smaller 2m one. 

davetommo replied on 16/01/2021 21:38

Posted on 16/01/2021 21:38

If you go onto the isabella website you might find just what you are looking for. You get a full sized awning smaller than what your van would take, make it onto a large porch with a kit that they sell

Matthews1963 replied on 16/01/2021 21:48

Posted on 16/01/2021 21:48

We bought an Isabella magnum 400 porch awning from camping International in Gillingham Kent . I just told the guy what van I had and he told me what would fit. Not a cheap awning but excellent  quality and easy to put up. 

Gmartin7 replied on 17/01/2021 05:59

Posted on 17/01/2021 05:59

Thanks for the replies. I would be looking for it to go from the awning rail at the back of the van right to the position at the front, between door and window, so the back window and hatch would be inside the awning, the toilet cassette is on the other side of van so that's not an issue. Will have a measure the next time I'm out to the van.

I will have a look at some of the website suggested above. I was planning on looking and buying at the Scottish caravan show this year but that is cancelled, although I have tickets for the online version so will also see what I can get on that.

Thanks.

KjellNN replied on 17/01/2021 11:38

Posted on 17/01/2021 11:38

As porch awnings are not intended to be in the awning rail other than for the roof part, if you want it to be in the awning rail down the back you need to adopt davetommo's advice.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook