Alko Jockey Wheel Loosening

ScreenName99EB8529A0 replied on 20/07/2022 11:33

Posted on 20/07/2022 11:33

Whilst towing home from the borders recently, we were alerted to the fact our jockey wheel was loosening by a passing motorist despite ensuring it was tight before leaving. As we are returning to caravanning after a number of years away, I was just wondering if it has to be extremely tight or has it to be checked every hundred miles during a journey.

Thanks in anticipation.

SteveL replied on 20/07/2022 11:53

Posted on 20/07/2022 11:53

We never had a problem, although I am always getting moaned at by OH for over tightening taps, bottles etc. However, I was always careful to make sure there could be no vibration, by fully tightening into the slot and ensuring it was not possible for the wheel to move. I always checked it on any loo stops.

EmilysDad replied on 20/07/2022 14:06

Posted on 20/07/2022 14:06

which bit? the clamp on/on the A frame or the handle for winding it up & down? Is the jockey being raised up into the 2 slots in the outer tube?

I've never had a problem but I just give the end of the clamp bar or the handle a bit of a thump with the heel of my hand .... no need to swing off either of them.

TimboC replied on 20/07/2022 18:53

Posted on 20/07/2022 18:53

As EmilysDad says, you don't say which part came loose, but i've had problems with both.

The winding part came loose on the motorway once as a result of the tyre being caught in the airflow. At that time I had a pneumatic tyre that had deflated, and this caused an oscilation that made the jockey unwind itself. I reckon this would also happen if the wheel is free to rotate, especially if its quite big. I now tend to use a bungee to hold the jockey in place, and always ensure that the wheel itself is hard against the A frame.

Last year we arrived at Willingcott, and the clamp sprang open as I was about to unhitch, and the handle dropped off. I reversed onto the pitch and had to use the wheel jack to support the A frame while I levelled.

The handle itself had sheared, and that was my fault. I was in the habit of kicking the jockey wheel into position if it jammed under the A frame whilst levelling or hitching up. This caused the handle to slowly bend and eventually break, but I had noticed that I couldnt tighten it fully on the previous couple of sites. 

This also meant that a piece or the thread was stuck in the A frame, but luckily I was able to get this out.

Luckily, there was a dealer just down the road, so I bought two new handles..one for a spare. Also, I'm no longer lazy when hitching up, and pay more attention to the position of the wheel.

I think in your case, I would just take the handle out when pitched with the legs down, and inspect it. If its looking worse for wear, get a new one.In fact, get a new one anyway just in case.  Mine cost £12 each

Robert replied on 23/07/2022 16:35

Posted on 23/07/2022 16:35

Hi I had this problem with a new Bailey caravan no matter how tight it was it always worked loose had jockey wheel changed by dealer no further probs

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook