Alko AKS 1300 Help/Advice Please

tacgls replied on 15/07/2012 14:32

Posted on 15/07/2012 14:32

We've just returned to caravanning after a number of years and had our first outing in our new to us caravan, a 1997 Fleetwood Garland 128-2 Luxe.
I do have a question that regards the Alko AKS 1300 stabiliser hitch that it has fitted.
Having read up on the hitch before collecting caravan I followed the coupling procedure, however when turning the ratchet wheel there was no audible click, it just contined to tighten until it could go no further, which I assume is far too tight? It releases ok for uncoupling and the friction pads do move in and out when turning the ratchet wheel clockwise and anti-clockwise and the stabiliser lever seems to operate as it should.
My question therefore is what are the possible causes for the ratchet wheel not to click and is it an relatively easy DIY fix?
Internet searches bring up no end of examples of seized ratchet wheels but I can find nothing relating my issue.
Incidently, my towball is a brand new detachable swan neck off which I have removed all the paint.
Hope somebody can point me in the right direction.
Thanks.         

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook