Al-ko friction pad failure

TandR replied on 06/08/2022 22:38

Posted on 06/08/2022 22:38

New Bailey van this year, fourth trip out and we couldn’t get unhitched due to failure of the top friction pad in the hitch.  It had fractured at the weak point by the indicator hole.  Previous Bailey was 11 years old and still on its original hitch pads.  We were assisted at the time by a kind chap from a neighbouring pitch - also in a new Bailey who had suffered the same issues only weeks earlier. When we were getting the replacement kit at the nearest repair centre we were told that this had been a more frequent problem for about the last two years. Anyone else suffered this issue, and is there any information on cause and how to avoid a recurrence?  TIA  

Fozzie replied on 07/08/2022 00:38

Posted on 07/08/2022 00:38

One possible explanation of the top friction plate failure is on hooking up if the caravan is "dropped" on to the tow hitch,with  sudden thud,sometimes this cannot be helped if the line up is not exact.

We were at Warwick Racecourse site when a caravanner just could not remove the caravan from his car.Eventually the towball was removed from the car to free up the site access,and the problem addressed by a caravan engineer.

Simon100 replied on 08/08/2022 21:44

Posted on 08/08/2022 21:44

I had exactly this problem on my 2022 Coachman Laser.

Thankfully the part is easy to replace.

My thoughts were that the hitch had been mistreated by Coachman, or the dealer, when being moved around the factory or transported to the dealer.

When researching the replacement technique I didn't come up with anything that made me think that it was a widespread problem or identified a cause.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook