Advice needed - side and front panels parting

0M4RC0 replied on 11/07/2023 13:59

Posted on 11/07/2023 13:59

Hi all...new to caravanning and have an issue with my 1994 Abbey 2-berth. I'm hoping someone will be able to help guide me to some resources or help me use the correct terms by which to search Google.

After a recent trip I noticed that the side panels (both sides) had separated (up to 1cm in places) from the front panel at the join. I'm assuming maybe the screws have lost their thread or something, there were some bumpy parts of the journey. There has been some water ingress but this has since dried and the areas of detachment are now fully taped up. 

I have purchased the Haynes manual and have searched the internet but neither seem to have direction on how I should fix this...firstly I'm wondering how I should describe the issue...is there a particular term I should be aware of?

Im assuming I should strip out the front furniture and remove the inner panels either side of the split so I can view the cause of the split. I'm assuming then it will be a case of replacing the screws that go through the awning rail ensuring they get purchase on the batons (or are the awning rail screws superficial for joining the side panel?). I was also going to bond the panels with a flexible mastic.

Any advice would be very well received as I'm a complete noob and don't really know what expect.

Thanks in advance for any help received 😁

Seadogsurf replied on 08/08/2023 11:54

Posted on 08/08/2023 11:54

I hate to be the bearer of bad news buddy and being as no one else has contributed here then I thought I'd chime in. Generally if those screws lose their integrity, and enough of them have failed to enable the front seams to split apart then it will be down to the constructive timbers having rotted due to water ingress. The only thing to do is to strip out the front of the caravan and replace the timber that the screws fix into, if indeed it is fixable. If it was me doing this job now I might be tempted to use one of the new plastic composite timber replacements. They hold screws in exactly the same manner as timber but will of course never rot again.

The issue that you have to evaluate when repairing a caravan that old is, are you better off biting the bullet and taking the van to a caravan breakers or scrap yard and then using the money and time to buy a new van. I guess it depends how much free time you've got and how emotionally attached you are to the van. I know broke my heart to get rid of my last one.

Best of luck with however you choose to proceed. Also, it's a little bit disappointing to see that nobody's joined in here to try and advise you. This is the first time I've been on the forums in a few years and I think questions like this help lots of owners of older caravans when they're in similar situations.

Once again, best of luck with it. πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook