Jockey wheel unwinding

gaz10 replied on 01/09/2016 20:26

Posted on 01/09/2016 20:26

this has happened twise now, the jocky wheel has un wound its self when driving. 

Is there a problem with the Jockey 

what I do now is tie off the top of the jockey so it can't unwind.

going to Spain next week, is there anything else I can do.

thanks

Tirril replied on 01/09/2016 21:02

Posted on 01/09/2016 21:02

I had exactly this problem when moving to a new Bailey Unicorn T/A. I had never had it happen in previous caravans and oddly enough in a Bailey Unicorn Seville which had exactly the same set up. My practice for the previous caravans had always been the same. Wind the jockey wheel up until a turn before being tight and then pull the column up until the wheel touched the underneath of the A.frame cover. I then wound the wheel up tight aagainst the A. frame cover. If the road was bumpy sure enought the wheel descended over distance and struck the road. I posted on here and Spannerdo came up with the solution. The A frame cover would flex just enough so as not to grip the wheel and it would descend under gravity. The correct method is to wind the jockey wheel up as tight as it will go (make sure the two flanges recess into the two slots on the column) and only then pull up the centre column so the wheel is up against the cover. In effect you are locking metal to metal rather metal to a fibre glass cover. After that no problem and I did not need the other suggestions of securing with a bungie cord etc. 

Nuggy replied on 01/09/2016 21:27

Posted on 01/09/2016 21:27

One thing Tirril mentioned that is worth repeating, the outer tube has two 'cut outs' at the bottom and the 'wheel brackets' have to be wound up into these cut outs to stop the wheel assembly from swinging round and dropping You might already be aware of this, no harm in double checking.

alfigone replied on 01/09/2016 22:25

Posted on 01/09/2016 22:25

Although this is not an issue I have ever experienced, I subscribe to the method Tirril describes, in winding it up as tight as possible & then pulling up the column and clamping tight against the A-frame.  I borrowed a horse box the other day to move our daughters pony, and was impressed with the design of the jockey wheel on it.  

If you follow the link, you can make out 2 D rings, one mounted to the outer shaft & one mounted on the handle collet ring. So you wind the wheel up until the 2 D-rings line up, then pop the R-clip through.  Hey Presto, handle locked in place, and with the ribbed shaft, less chance of the whole assembly dropping.  If you're handy with a welder maybe something you could try on your present Jockey Wheel (the D-rings, not the ribbed shaft Laughing), or replace the whole assembly with a heavy duty one, but there will no doubt be a weight penalty going down that route.

Paul.

Justus2 replied on 02/09/2016 04:12

Posted on 02/09/2016 04:12

I used to have exactly the same problem with our previous Lunar. Although the jockey wheel was lifted perfectly correctly and fully tightened, vibration over time and distance loosened it a couple of times whilst on long journeys. To ensure it was safe and secure  I used to tie the handle off with a length of cord wrapped around the jockey wheel tube.

Justus2 replied on 02/09/2016 04:27

Posted on 02/09/2016 04:27

PS It took me a while to work out why it was coming loose.. With a well serviced / lubricated / newish jockey wheel, when its on the car and in the up position, try just slapping the handle for a while as if to loosen it with your hand to simulate vibration on a roughish road surface. The handle eventally revolves, the wheel gradually lowers despite the jockey wheel tube remaining in the up position... Eventually the wheel touches the ground.... Well mine did at any rate. Sad

BorisSnowhead replied on 02/09/2016 06:40

Posted on 02/09/2016 06:40

After having this happen on M40 we now hook on a bungee, wrap around A frame and back to jockey. Never had problem since. 

IanH replied on 02/09/2016 08:54

Posted on 02/09/2016 08:54

I do similar to Tirril, but the opposite way round.

I pull the column up so that the wheel lines up with the A frame but an inch or two from the top. Then I wind the handle to bring the wheel up the rest of the way, so that it's really snug within the A frame. Always give the handle an extra nudge to make sure it's tight.

Not had it slip down yet, but maybe some are 'looser' than others?

EmilysDad replied on 02/09/2016 09:00

Posted on 02/09/2016 09:00

I pull the column up so that the wheel lines up with the A frame but an inch or two from the top. Then I wind the handle to bring the wheel up the rest of the way, so that it's really snug within the A frame. Always give the handle an extra nudge to make sure it's tight.

But has your wheel bracket tightened up to the tube.column or has the wheel tightened up to something else under the A frame?

Metheven replied on 02/09/2016 09:06

Posted on 02/09/2016 09:06

Never had a problem.

I hitch up, wind the wheel into the outer tube recess nice and tight, then unclamp, swivel so wheel is pointing rearward and lift the whole jockey assembly until it stops, clamp up.

Then I kick it to test it Happy

IanH replied on 02/09/2016 09:07

Posted on 02/09/2016 09:07

But has your wheel bracket tightened up to the tube.column or has the wheel tightened up to something else under the A frame?

The wheel bracket tightens up to the A frame (I feel underneath to make sure that's happening) and the wheel wedges into the A frame (it's a pneumatic one, so maybe a bit fatter than some)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook