2020 RAV4Hybrid AWD Anyone have experience towing?

Gaskell replied on 08/09/2020 19:08

Posted on 08/09/2020 19:08

I’m thinking of changing my tow car to a RAV4 2020 Hybrid AWD and wonder if anyone has actual experience of towing with one? I’ve had several 4x4 diesel tow cars and want to make the change for environmental reasons (please don’t post on the pros & cons of hybrids versus diesel or environmental pros & cons - I’ve already had that debate with myself and respect others views as to why they would stick with diesel). I can’t find many actual reviews on the RAV4 Hybrid’s towing ability and hence would value feedback from anyone who actually has towed with one. We have a lightweight 2 berth Compass Casita 462 which would be well within the RAV4’s stated 1650kg max towing capacity. Thanks.

flatcoat replied on 11/09/2020 10:57

Posted on 11/09/2020 10:57

A number of thoughts on this:

1) could the moderators move this to the Towcar section? The OP may get more responses.

2) try a Toyota specific forum.

3) i recall looking at a towing review of the latest Rav4 hybrid earlier this year (Cannot now locate it). In summary it is not recommended, poor solo driving experience and poor ride and pitching when towing, poor stability over 50mph, . economy not great either. There are better hybrid and PHEV towcars out there. 

my manager has a diesel Rav4 and was loaned a Rav hybrid when in for service, he said economy was not as good and neither was real world performance (he doesnt tow).

4) i bought a diesel plug in hybrid, best of both worlds. You might want to Bear in mind the latest diesels are as clean and often cleaner than latest petrol engines and create less CO2. 

5) does it have to be SUV? Do you need 4wd? What about a mild hybrid? 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook