Disabled pitches

hugofotie replied on 26/07/2021 11:28

Posted on 26/07/2021 11:28

How do others feel when like myself book a disabled pitch, although I'm very grateful that I am near the facilities I do wish they had a better outlook than toilets & bins. It wouldn't take much too plant a few bushes or trees to hide the facilities from view . We do love our time with the club but a better outlook would improve not just our caravan holidays but everyone else's .Quite a few disabled pitches seem to be not as nice as the main pitches.

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

SteveL replied on 26/07/2021 11:45

Posted on 26/07/2021 11:45

This should really have been posted in the UK sites discussion section. Perhaps it can be moved by a mod.

However, whilst those alongside  could be screened, often pitches opposite are allocated. We have just come back from Hawes, there are several pitches the other side of the road facing the facilities. It would be difficult to screen those.

Cornersteady replied on 26/07/2021 11:52

Posted on 26/07/2021 11:52

I didn't know, or I may have missed it, that the club had disabled pitches as such? They have pitches that can be 'reserved' for disabled campers in advance but none actually marked as such? 

SteveL replied on 26/07/2021 12:05

Posted on 26/07/2021 11:52 by Cornersteady

Posted on 26/07/2021 12:05

I have seen disabled markers on pitches at Chapel lane. Although they aren’t identified as such on the site plan, so may get moved about. Other sites just seem to put a cone on one with convenient access, when required.

DavidKlyne replied on 26/07/2021 12:42

Posted on 26/07/2021 12:42

As I understand it Club sites don't per se have disabled pitches but a pitch near the facilities can be requested at time of booking if you have a disability. The site staff will then do their best to reserve a pitch near to the facilities. It depends on the nature of the disability (I don't wish to know) but could you be a bit further away from the toilet block but near enough not for it to be a disadvantage to you? That would at least open up a few more options. Some toilet blocks seem to be miles from some pitches but one say 50 metres from the block give you a better outlook? I remember we were on a serviced pitch at White Water Park and that was opposite the toilet block but the pitch was surprisingly large and hedged which gave a degree of greater privacy. 

David

Tinwheeler replied on 26/07/2021 12:47

Posted on 26/07/2021 12:47

Having once become embroiled in a heated situation where a stick waving member really lost it because a warden had forgotten to put a disabled marker out on the pitch we subsequently occupied, I can confirm that at FM disabled markers are/were placed on the pitch as needed.

Actually, if I needed a disabled pitch, I think I’d be happy to be near the facilities irrespective of the outlook.

KjellNN replied on 26/07/2021 13:32

Posted on 26/07/2021 13:32

As I understand it, very few sites have permanent disabled pitches, if you request to be close to the facilities a warden will place a marker on what he/she considers to be a suitable pitch.

However........there is no obligation to use that pitch if you would prefer a different one.  Just be sure to remove the marker if the site is busy, and let the warden know immediately.

Most  wardens will point out that you can use a different pitch if you wish.

brue replied on 26/07/2021 13:50

Posted on 26/07/2021 13:50

I think there are some sites (hills involved) where disabled pitches are marked, Berwick and Hillhead come to mind. We had to pitch within a few metres of a facilities block not long ago, it was busy and unpleasant with lights blazing all night etc. Some pitches just aren't very good for anyone, disabled or not. undecided

Tammygirl replied on 26/07/2021 15:20

Posted on 26/07/2021 15:20

I have to agree that some pitches don't have the best outlook. 

If we have to take a pitch near the block or near bins etc. I would just turn the van around and pitch the other way.

We've done that a few times now, it works for us as we don't use an awning.

brue replied on 26/07/2021 16:42

Posted on 26/07/2021 16:42

Yes, a good idea if it's possible. We were stuck so  pulled the front blinds over and blotted out the view! Luckily not there for long,  otherwise we would have attempted a change of pitch.

As we didn't need the facilities it was just our bad luck.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook