Travel from Uk to Italian Lakes

hogman replied on 30/05/2024 16:02

Posted on 30/05/2024 16:02

Looking for some advice. I have travelled to France  Spain and Portugal with my caravan. We are now thinking of going to the Italian Lakes next year. What's the best way to do this avoiding the Alps or do the motorways cut through them. Taking a twin axle caravan. Thanks in anticipation.

Moderator Comment - I have moved this to the Discussion Area as this is where questions should be asked.

eurortraveller replied on 30/05/2024 21:17

Posted on 30/05/2024 21:17

Motorways under rather than over  the Alps include the St Gotthard, Frejus and Mont Blanc tunnels. The first of those is pretty direct from Calais to lakes Maggiore and Como, though  the other two tunnels may be more suitable if starting from ports in western France . A good road atlas will help your planning.

Dave Nicholson replied on 31/05/2024 19:29

Posted on 31/05/2024 19:29

Your route will depend on which of the Italian Lakes you plan to visit. For Lake Garda I suggest you use the Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany route via Stuttgart and Ulm to Fussen and the Fern pass into Austria then the Brenner pass into Italy and Lake Garda. The Fern pass is an easy, steady climb with no steep gradients. Similarly the Brenner Pass has no steep gradients. As ET says, Swiss and Italian roads normally go through the mountains rather than over them. For Como and the western lakes the best route is through Switzerland and the St Gottard tunnel. The tunnel is free but you will need two Swiss motorway vignettes, one for the car and one for the caravan. Try to avoid the Italian lakes in August, they are very busy. The motorway  routes through France and the Frejus or Mont Blanc tunnels  are very expensive.

DavidKlyne replied on 02/06/2024 17:25

Posted on 02/06/2024 17:25

The Italian Lakes cover a large area and, as others have said, the route depends on which one you intend visiting first. We have mainly used the Fern  and Brenner Passes but did on one occasion use the Tunnel de Frejus when going to one of the other lakes but it is expensive! I note you say you have a twin axle caravan? I would suggest some research re campsites as Italian pitches are not renown for being generously sized but that does vary from site to site.

David

MoHoSinger replied on 02/06/2024 19:09

Posted on 02/06/2024 19:09

Which ferry will you be taking? Your signature does not indicate where you are based.

And do you want to daly a little en route?

Chris

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook