Leaking awning

HappyDaze replied on 02/09/2019 14:03

Posted on 02/09/2019 14:03

Hi everyone,

Last Oct. I  bought a Kampa Pro Air Ace 400 while I was at the NEC B/ham.

A week ago I used it for the second time, one night we had substantial rain fall, when I checked the awning in the morning it appeared to me that there was quite a lot of rain water around the place.

I'm sure it wasn't condensation simply because of the amount of water which was around the place.

I contacted the company where I bought it, they in turn spoke to Kampa............. and surprise, surprise, Kampa said it was "Condensation."

My question to my fellow caravaner's is.................................. has anyone else had any issues with this particular awning?

Thanks,

Phil G.

JillwithaJay replied on 06/09/2019 10:33

Posted on 06/09/2019 10:33

I've heard many instances of this problem and many times owners have been told that it's condensation.  However, many owners have said that no way is the amount of water due to condensation.

Whittakerr replied on 06/09/2019 10:49

Posted on 06/09/2019 10:49

The first few times I used my Isabella awning (when it was raining) it leaked on the seam where the awning rail tape was attached. I contacted Isabella and they told me that this could happen with a new awning and that the thread used for the stitching would naturally swell and seal the leak.

Sure enough after two or three soakings the leak sealed itself and I have had no trouble since.

I don’t know if your awning is constructed similar but it might be worth leaving it until its had a couple of soakings and see if it persists.

Hope you get it sorted.

richardandros replied on 06/09/2019 11:27

Posted on 06/09/2019 11:27

Had two Kampa awnings over the last five years - the latest one being a Air Pro 390 Grande. Never had a leak with either of them and, believe me, they have had some rain thrown at them! Condensation can be a problem, however - and it can be considerable in certain conditions but it's a question of learning to manage it. If impermeable fabrics are used for awnings, it's akin to being inside a plastic bag - our alternative Sunncamp is just the same.

We tend to leave the tops of doors open and a roof lining also helps a bit.

ABM replied on 06/09/2019 14:45

Posted on 06/09/2019 14:45

Back in the Days of Yore, when I was using tents of all varieties, sizes and materials it was always accepted that any new tent was  erected and given a very thorough soaking and drying. Then , as Whittakerr says, the leaks self sealed.

Now I've got a wind-out awning on my motor van and altho' its just a roof and no fabric sides It regularly is running with water due to condensation.

Freedom a whitebox replied on 06/09/2019 15:19

Posted on 06/09/2019 15:19

I have a Kampa air pro 200. I’ve had it from new since 2016. It’s used in all weathers. Even with the roof lining, I still have found the insides wet and have to dry it off,  to stop getting drips down falling on me.

I did consider reproofing it, but I have discovered that if I leave the doors tied back and the mesh in place overnight, the awning roof sides and front panels are all staying dry. I’ve been at Buxton this week and the rain has been fierce but it has not leaked. With that in mind I’d say my problems must have been condensation. Having the fridge venting into the awning can’t help as it putting warm air inside and this just condensates on to the cold panels  

ABM replied on 06/09/2019 21:44

Posted on 06/09/2019 21:44

Having had a while to think about this I wonder if the fabric has something to do with it  ??

The Tents I had were always natural fibres, cotton of various weights,  etcetera, including the stitching  so they would expand when wet. However modern made materials probably would not do that.

ADD46 replied on 07/09/2019 14:03

Posted on 07/09/2019 14:03

Happy Daze - we bought one of the early Kampa Pro Airs when they first came on the market. It was liable to bad condensation and we found puddles of water around the bottom of the air tubes each morning. We thought it was leaking but it was just very cold nights which then turned into lovely warm mornings that caused all the condensation. Our fridge vent was also on that side so possibly wouldn’t of helped.

Freedom a whitebox replied on 13/09/2019 13:35

Posted on 13/09/2019 13:35

While at Buxton I had some of the pegs pull out during a spot severe weather.  Tried re-pegging but the pitch isn’t compacted enough ( the other vans in my row suffered as well) struggling to remove the only peg that did really hold, the awning slid itself off the rail and became a sail. Not being able to pull the last peg which was one of the quick guying lines - I had to resort to cutting it. Folded it up the best I could and shoved it away. Repacked it but it was covered in mud.

On returning home I inflated it and washed it with a road grim cleaner and then jet washed it! Came up nice and clean and it didn’t leak! I was thinking it  might be the time to replace it, but apart from the black being more grey (from the sun), the rest looks like new. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook