Damp

Grumpygrandad007 replied on 11/03/2024 10:02

Posted on 11/03/2024 10:02

Hi I. Looking at buying a Bailey pursuit 2017 6 berth. I found a reading of 33% damp on the floor around the toilet. Is this bad?

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

longtailtit replied on 27/03/2024 08:30

Posted on 27/03/2024 08:30

I wouldn't buy anything with damp at all. In fact run a mile. Quite a few, Baileys suffer from water ingress from the roof strap,  which then works it's way through the walls and rots the floor.

Best to get an independent inspection ahead of purchase if in doubt. 

Buy a dry caravan with good service history from a dealership  - at least you then have some comeback under the consumer right Act 2015 if they sell you a dud.And pay at least ~£1K on credit card for added useful protection 

If buying privately there is no comeback - it's buyer beware i'm afraid. 

Damp is the worst as much of problem could be hidden.......

Tinwheeler replied on 27/03/2024 09:21

Posted on 27/03/2024 09:21

Yes, 33% is bad. Up to 15% is normal. Check out THIS link.

Btw, it’s £100 on a credit card to get protection. Search online for Section 75 credit card protection if you’re interested.

richardandros replied on 27/03/2024 15:37

Posted on 27/03/2024 15:37

Whilst it could be the roof strap - a more likely source is the shower tray. The Bailey shower tray is quite flimsy - and not supported at the edges where it's sealed to the shower walls with silicone.  With use and movement, that seal eventually breaks down and all it takes is a barely noticeable hairline crack in the silicone - and that's enough. It happened twice to our Barcelona (2015) within three years of getting it.  The second time, the whole bathroom had to be stripped out to remove the floor covering to allow it to dry out. On that second occasion, the highest damp readings (about 40%) were around the base of the toilet.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook