Motorhome Storage

Ferkel replied on 05/05/2018 17:08

Posted on 05/05/2018 17:08

I am a "newbie motorhome owner" and have recently taken delivery of a new vehicle however rather unfortunately I have had to have an operation that means I cannot drive the vehicle for potentially a couple of months. I have parked the vehicle on my drive and have drained the fresh and grey water tanks. The vehicle is hooked up to a mains supply so that the fridge runs etc and also if required I have set an internal temperature in case of a cold snap.

My thoughts are to leave it hooked up and this will suffice until I can hit the road again. Once ready to go I will flush the fresh water tank etc.

Please could anybody advise if there is anything else I need to do? 

Thanks in advance.

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

DavidKlyne replied on 05/05/2018 20:24

Posted on 05/05/2018 20:24

Ferkel

Sorry to hear about your incapacity. At this time of year I very much doubt that you will need to worry about overnight temperatures, it might be different if the " Beast from the East" returns but that is most unlikely. Even if there is a slight risk of ground frost it's unlikely to have an effect on the inside of the van. I would also question the need to have the fridge on, we never do unless its a day or two before we set off on a trip. When not in use the prop the fridge door open to avoid fungal build-up. Ideally the engine should be run and the motorhome taken for a short trip but unless you have someone to do that for you that is not going to be possible. I think at this time of year you should be fine.

David

replied on 05/05/2018 20:32

Posted on 05/05/2018 20:32

I am not sure if the main vehicle battery might need charging if stood for so long. Alarms etc are a constant drain.

Ferkel replied on 05/05/2018 20:36

Posted on 05/05/2018 20:36

Thanks David, I figured things would be ok and perhaps i was being over cautious; I shall open the fridge as suggested and then turn off the power. 

Hopefully should be on the road again end of July.

thanks again.

Tinwheeler replied on 05/05/2018 20:58

Posted on 05/05/2018 20:58

Even at times when heating is needed, and they're rare, I wouldn't leave the fridge running. It would be empty and working hard for no reason. David is right, turn it off and use the catch in the ajar setting to keep air circulating.

It’ll pay to plug the van in every week or so to keep the batteries charged. Also, to run the engine or move the van if you can. Don’t worry if you can't as it’ll survive.

All the best. 

Ferkel replied on 06/05/2018 12:01

Posted on 06/05/2018 12:01

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice, I have disconnected the electric and left the fridge open/ajar. The vehicle has solar and so this should keep the batteries topped up; I have also run the engine and moved the vehicle to rotate the tyres. I think as Tinwheeler points out it will survive :9)

thanks again

young thomas replied on 06/05/2018 12:35

Posted on 06/05/2018 12:35

you've done the right thing in draining the system, this is more than enough to counter any 'weather' on the horizon....

it might be worth checking that you solar panel actually charges your vehicle battery. some systems just charge the habitation battery and the  alarm/immobiliser/tracker would be slowly draining the cab battery.

in just a few weeks, in mainly decent weather, the van will be perfectly fine on your drive...

pgood luck with your recouperation and that you're soon in the van again...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook