Caravan and Motorcamper/car/tent club

Collythedog replied on 25/07/2018 19:52

Posted on 25/07/2018 19:52

I have been a member since 2008, back in the day when you paid to be a member of the Caravan club. Over the years Motorhomes have become increasingly popular, I understand that. For whatever reason the club felt to be inclusive of this fact by rebranding and renaming. I understand that also. What I am having difficulty with is the misinterpretation of Motorhome. More and more I am seeing camper vans, you know, those VW things, or worse, (see picture), which in no way can be described as a motor home. The caravan club has lost its way and has morphed into the 'Friendly club', you know the one I mean!!  Motor homes have awnings, their owners generally have breakfast inside, campervan owners don't have the space, so cook breakie and 'camp' out to do most of their activities.  I don't actually care too much, however, one should not desribe oneself as the Caravan and Motorhome club when one has become the Caravan and Camping club under a different name.  My photo depicts the sort of situation that should be policed and stopped. 

Moderator Comment - This not really a story and as such should be posted in the Discussion Area, where I have moved it to.

Tinwheeler replied on 25/07/2018 20:13

Posted on 25/07/2018 20:13

What’s wrong with that unit? Why could anyone object to it unless it doesn’t fit in with "one's" view of what a 'proper' motorhome is.

You've stereotyped motorhomes as having awnings with the occupants eating breakfast inside while campervan occupants do the reverse. Really? And what does any of that matter?

I belong to both clubs and the variety of units on C&CC sites is a joy to see. Bring it on!

Incidentally, you’ve posted this as a story but it isn’t really. If you post it on the forum you’ll garner a wealth of replies - I can guarantee it.

Cornersteady replied on 25/07/2018 20:33

Posted on 25/07/2018 20:33

There is nothing wrong with that unit, it looks fun actually.

There was an article in the club magazine that stated anything vehicle is accepted as long as there is a designated sleeping section or accommodation, fixed or converted from seats. So in effect they cannot be policed or stopped as they are club 'legal' .

As a caravaner when it's warm enough we have our breakfast, and (shock horror) even lunch, high tea, and dinner outside. sometimes we even cook it outside.

As for the name, hardly matters,  a rose by any other name would smell as sweet

JillwithaJay replied on 25/07/2018 20:41

Posted on 25/07/2018 20:41

Can't see what's wrong with the outfit in the picture.  If they've paid their fees then they're perfectly entitled to use the club's facilities.  Not everybody can afford a grand spanking new six figure sum vehicle but we all deserve to be able to enjoy our hobby in anyway we can manage.

63ellsbells replied on 25/07/2018 20:45

Posted on 25/07/2018 20:45

Oh my word, the hot weather is clearly getting to some people 😱

Surely this must be a wind up.

Why on earth would anyone have a problem with this type of unit and as for those of us who eat outside our van, tent, motorhome, VW camper or roof tent, long may it continue.

I do feel sorry for those people who seem to make it a lifelong mission to moan about absolutely everything and be as miserable as possible - lighten up, you only get one shot at this (as far as we know πŸ˜‰)

Takethedogalong replied on 25/07/2018 20:47

Posted on 25/07/2018 20:47

That is a very desirable outfit, if our dogs could climb ladders, it could well have been us. I honestly thought this kind of outdated view of different outfits had come to an end, especially as the Club welcomes most kind of outfits nowadays. We had a tiny camper van thirty years ago and often faced this kind of misplaced thinking, rather sad to find such still happens.frown 

Why not try and get into conversation with the owners, find out why they like to tour in this kind of outfit? They are probably just as human as everyone else on site. And they may even be willing to tow you off if you get stuck one day! laughing

moulesy replied on 25/07/2018 20:50

Posted on 25/07/2018 20:50

I agree - it's got to be a wind up. The only question is why the OP didn't wait until the weekend - that's the latest tactic for "new" posters isn't it? undecided

Takethedogalong replied on 25/07/2018 20:54

Posted on 25/07/2018 20:41 by JillwithaJay

Can't see what's wrong with the outfit in the picture.  If they've paid their fees then they're perfectly entitled to use the club's facilities.  Not everybody can afford a grand spanking new six figure sum vehicle but we all deserve to be able to enjoy our hobby in anyway we can manage.

Posted on 25/07/2018 20:54

I am laughing Jilllaughing, the vehicle alone is probably worth £70,000. Bit more depending on how the inside, roof tent is configured. And it won't get stuck in the mud! That's a long wheel base Safari LR, a classic as soon as it rolled off the production line! Natty washing lines may have been from Aldi! I'd take one any day over a square white box, with or without engine attached!laughing

Bakers2 replied on 25/07/2018 20:54

Posted on 25/07/2018 20:54

I love the variety makes the sites where everyone has to park in line look more interesting. Far better than all white boxes πŸ˜‰

Cornersteady replied on 25/07/2018 20:55

Posted on 25/07/2018 20:51 by Tinwheeler

"...policed and stopped."

Wow, what’s happenned to "hung, drawn and quartered"? frown

Posted on 25/07/2018 20:55

and don't forget the head on a spike at the site entrance?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook