SMC Newark motor home buying experience

ClubMemberAF5142BAF4 replied on 27/05/2023 07:40

Posted on 27/05/2023 07:40

I would just like to add my experience buying my first motor home and the excitement of picking it up .

I chose the motor home at over £65000 on a 2019 plate a month ago and noticed a few issues and told the salesman could he sort it for me . I was told it will all be done for handover day great stuff I thought .

on hand over day I arrived to find None of the issues I reported had been dealt with and also there was an issue with the alarm that was fitted there originally that no one new how to work .

I had to contact the company who sold them the alarm to find out how to work it . The issues unresolved were front tyres had 1.5 mm of useable tread , rear tyre had cracks on side wall , cooker rusty ,it had not been cleaned to any standard . Shower was not sealed a silicone peeling and black . Green paint on wood in bedroom. The garage storage compartment hanging off , inflation wheel kit had been used and and no one checked .

so all in all very poor attitude towards me for pointing these out . In fact the sales director came out and looked at the tread and said it’s 3mm I explained that the wear indicator is 1.5mm . 
They weren’t interested and said it passed the MOT so it was tough luck .

my impression is that unless your spending lots more money and it’s a new motor home your a second class buyer . All unhelpful apart from the guy doing the hand over . All very poor and if that’s the attitude from director to sales then at SMC Newark the customer is never right and made to feel awkward. 

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

Tinwheeler replied on 27/05/2023 12:47

Posted on 27/05/2023 12:47

That’s rotten luck. Did you withhold a sum of money on retention until they sorted the issues? We did that once and it resulted in prompt resolution of the problems.

EmilyAndBeccasMum replied on 29/05/2023 17:12

Posted on 29/05/2023 17:12

Sounds like an almost identical experience we had with a dealership,speak to the club legal team they were excellent and thankfully helped us get our money back. 
What amazed me is after it was returned, it was back on the forecourt with a price increase with days . How they sleep at night I do not know! They are very good at putting a spin on things in the Cheshire area!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook