Is it worth being a member?

ClubMember6A4B3C6A8F replied on 09/06/2024 03:32

Posted on 09/06/2024 03:32

I am currently in Australia preparing to tour the UK in August 2024. I have joined the Caravan and Motorhome Club so as to get some site discounts while touring UK in a rented motorhome. I have so far only found two Caravan and Motorhome sites which suit our itinerary and destinations. On both occasions when I have done the booking online there has been no designated area in the booking site to quote my membership number and as a result it appears that I have at no time received the Caravan and Motorhome membership discount as guaranteed as a part of the membership. Can someone please shed some light on this situation please. Cheers Jimmy

Moderator Comment - Jimmy, your user name is automatically generated when you sign up to the booking system and does not represent your membership number. As mentioned in the replies it can be changed via your profile. I have removed ref to your real membership number for online safety reasons. I will move this into the discussion area.

WaltersMandG replied on 09/06/2024 06:52

Posted on 09/06/2024 06:52

Hi Jimmy, you’re best off giving customer services a call or one of the sites you’ve booked as they can look at your profile.

the contact centre is open Monday to Friday 8.45am to 5.30pm on +44 1342 327490

SteveL replied on 09/06/2024 07:03

Posted on 09/06/2024 07:03

You don’t have to put in your membership number, when you log in the booking system knows who you are. What you are referring to as a discount (£15 a night) is actually a supplement to the displayed prices on the web site for non members. Therefore there will be no discount shown for membership, although there might for other offers, such as staying 3 nights or more.

The number shown after club member is actually your designator not your membership number and can be changed to a more user friendly name within My profile, which can be clicked on at the top of the page.

Tinwheeler replied on 09/06/2024 08:59

Posted on 09/06/2024 08:59

The number is deliberately not a duplicate of your membership number as it is wisest not to publicise that. I suggest you ask the Community Manager to remove your real membership number from your story, or maybe a Mod will edit it out.

You can choose your own user name as advised.

See - https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/introductions/unfriendly-user-name/?er=P857819#P857819

Takethedogalong replied on 09/06/2024 10:56

Posted on 09/06/2024 10:56

If your plans only include two Club sites, I would suggest looking at alternative sites, or consider the Certificated Locations network of the Club. This will give you many more options to make use of a Membership, and at much lower average price per night.

Comes with a caveat though. Accessibility and facility needs will depend on your hired outfit and personal toileting and showering requirements. Big, long Motorhomes aren’t always ideal on some British roads, and in some areas of the country. 

Suggest you take a look at the Searchforsites website as well, which will detail most of the sites (including Club), stopovers, parking options. I am presuming your tour includes details of some of the low emission zone areas, where extra charges just for being on certain roads are in operation.

Hope you have a lovely time, and our weather is kind to you😁

eribaMotters replied on 09/06/2024 12:20

Posted on 09/06/2024 12:20

Also worth considering is to bookmark the UK campsites web page on your tablet/phone. They have an excellent search facility with a multitude of filters and lots of reviews, so you can home in on a site that exactly meets your requirements.

Colin

Wherenext replied on 09/06/2024 14:39

Posted on 09/06/2024 12:20 by eribaMotters

Also worth considering is to bookmark the UK campsites web page on your tablet/phone. They have an excellent search facility with a multitude of filters and lots of reviews, so you can home in on a site that exactly meets your requirements.

Colin

Posted on 09/06/2024 14:39

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/webapp.php

Certificated sites

These should help you browse. As mentioned above, as part of your membership you gain access to staying on Certificated sites, known by members as CLs. Some are top notch, all singing all dancing sites (not literally), some have access to toilets and showers, some are more basic with just an electric hook up and some even more basic with no electric, but all have minimum requirements such as water provision and Elsan facilities for toilet emptying and all accept a maximum of 5 units (in theory as some flout the rules).

They are often run as additional businesses to the owners main one, many on farms for example. If you are interested in them then immerse yourself thoroughly with what any individual provides and where it is.

If you want specific recommendations for any site then post under the Certificated Location heading and people will respond.

Enjoy your trip.

eurortraveller replied on 09/06/2024 16:20

Posted on 09/06/2024 16:20

Jimmy, Don’t limit yourselves to what this Club provides. - though they are good for London. Otherwise  use SearchForSites, PitchUp, UKCampsites.co.uk and so on. You may have to book some sites a few days in advance, but a phone call on the  day before will usually get you a place. 

I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed Australia.

nelliethehooker replied on 09/06/2024 20:25

Posted on 09/06/2024 20:25

If you provide a rough indication of where you intend visiting there are lots of members, who contribute on here, who could provide suggestions of sites that you might want to consider.

There are additional benefits of being a member such as discounts at certain stores, such as Mountain Warehouse, that are well worth your time looking at.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/membership/member-offers/

There are also discounts to be had when visiting many attractions.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/membership/great-savings-guide/

DavidKlyne replied on 09/06/2024 22:12

Posted on 09/06/2024 22:12

I suspect what is confusing the OP, given that he lives on the other side of the world and likely unfamiliar with Club bookings,  is that when he is logging in as a member he can't see any reference to the £15 a night discount because he is already seeing member prices. As Steve points out the £15 is a surcharge per night for non members not a discount for members! As Nellie points out there are other advantages of being a members but what we don't know is how long the OP will be in the UK. He will only really start saving money if he books four nights or more on Club sites. Maybe a bit of a longshot but if he belongs to a camping organisation where he lives they may have a reciprocal arrangement with the Club?

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook