Van Insurance on a seasonal pitch

SteveL replied on 28/08/2018 15:10

Posted on 28/08/2018 15:10

I thought others might find this useful. 

We are shortly to move our van onto a seasonal pitch on a CAMC site and have club 5C's insurance. As the van will not always be occupied, I thought I would check the van insurance. There was nothing specific about seasonal pitches. However, we get a discount for storage in a CASSOA  Gold standard compound. In the bit where it explains the discount, it states that it must be stored in a gold standard compound when not in use, except for a short period at the home address for trip preparation.

As a result of reading that, I phoned to get advice. I was told that we would have to be signed off the discount for the period the van was on the seasonal. I have no problem with that, it sort of makes sense and is only costing me a few pounds. However, I wonder how many others in our position don't bother to check and therefore would not be covered.

JollyKernow replied on 02/09/2018 19:30

Posted on 02/09/2018 19:30

Hi Steve

It does make you wonder if discounts are really worth it? As you say, it's only a few quid difference for staying in a gold standard compound. It's similar for us as our vans although in a "secure compound" on site for 8 months of the year we have to remove the discount. I'd say my van is more secure as for someone to try and steal it would have the big bad warden (me!!) to deal with.

I've done away with all discounts including the alko wheel lock one.

JK

Wherenext replied on 06/09/2018 16:45

Posted on 06/09/2018 16:45

It's a bit like those lock and alarm discounts on the policy. If the saving is insignificant why make a rod for your own back by having conditions written onto your policy? Different if the discount is good and you are the sort to always apply them.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook