Terrible service from Mayday

Surfer replied on 22/12/2017 13:44

Posted on 22/12/2017 13:44

About 3 or more months our car had a flat battery so we phoned Mayday.  After an hour we phoned again and there was no record of the first call.  It then took them approximately another 3 hours to arrive.  The technician told us that he had only got the call about 30 minutes previously!

Today we had a flat tyre so called Mayday again and was told that someone would contact us back within 30 minutes.  Over and hour later we got a call telling us that it would be another 40 minutes before someone would call around.  No mention of compensation either.

Previously we have had good service but this seems to have gone to pot.  What is happening with Mayday?

JVB66 replied on 22/12/2017 14:00

Posted on 22/12/2017 14:00

So you are a least £20 better off,have you contacted them and asked for better compensation, it is definately unusual for that sort of poor service, was it in the same area and garage that attended if so i would definately complain

Bakers2 replied on 22/12/2017 17:46

Posted on 22/12/2017 17:46

Wednesday we had cause to use the breakdown cover through our bank, Brittania, who we have been with for years paying for ourselves. Phoned 1pm using home start, didn't need the car particularly as we are able to walk to shops etc and made this clear. It just wouldn't start. They were here within an hour. Fuel line tapped and jump start. Good run including Halford check on battery level - all good 😆. 

Over 40 years this is the service we have received on the ocassions we had to use them and would recommend them. 

I would certainly be complaining in your case. Certainly doesn't sound overly customer focused.

EmilysDad replied on 23/12/2017 07:23

Posted on 23/12/2017 07:23

MayDay has (almost) always been OK for us. As above, a lot depends on the particular local garage they use. 

A flat battery or change or tyre change I'd sort myself though rather than wait for someone else.

Surfer replied on 23/12/2017 09:33

Posted on 23/12/2017 09:33

We have been under the impression that if they take longer than an hour to respond, they give you £10.  Same garage and area as car broke down outside the house.

We are wondering why a breakdown company in Kidderminster was used instead of Worcester as Worcester is a lot closer to us?  Unfortunately I can no longer change a tyre myself.

JVB66 replied on 23/12/2017 09:55

Posted on 23/12/2017 09:33 by Surfer

We have been under the impression that if they take longer than an hour to respond, they give you £10.  Same garage and area as car broke down outside the house.

We are wondering why a breakdown company in Kidderminster was used instead of Worcester as Worcester is a lot closer to us?  Unfortunately I can no longer change a tyre myself.

Posted on 23/12/2017 09:55

I would under your circumstances contact Mayday(Green Flag) customer service and do not be fobbed off,as you should have had at least 2x£10 and i would think more after the terrible service you recieved from their contractor

eurortraveller replied on 23/12/2017 10:35

Posted on 23/12/2017 10:35

All breakdown companies operate a triage system - they deal with the urgent cases first. If you are stranded on the M1 with babies they come to you quickly, if you are home with a flat battery and can't get to the pub they leave you lower down the queue.

ForestR replied on 23/12/2017 12:25

Posted on 23/12/2017 12:25

Unless there has been a real downturn in service you must be really unlucky to have two such experience. We have had four occasions to call out Mayday and all attended well within the hour even on a Spring Bank Holiday Monday with caravan in tow. We joined Mayday many years ago after a disaster with another recovery organisation who left us at the side of the road with a broken axle on the caravan on a Saturday night.  

Surfer replied on 24/12/2017 10:01

Posted on 24/12/2017 10:01

Over the past 23 years we have called GreenFlag / Mayday approximately 6 or 7 times if that and have had very good service and have always recommended Mayday however it is a concern now as we could have been on our way to catch the ferry!

If there was going to be a delay, is there any reason why they cannot phone the customer and update the customer?  I can live with a delay if for instance it is snowing or the weather is bad as understandable there will be delays.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook