Sellers beware of a scam!

DaveWales replied on 10/12/2019 15:12

Posted on 10/12/2019 15:12

My caravan is up for sale through the club's member listings. I have been approached twice in the last twelve months asking if the van is still for sale to which I have replied by email that it is.

This is the response I got

Thank you for the Response,I am okay with the condition Likewise your
asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others
I've seen lately , I'll have it for the price . I'm interested and
consider it sold as seen am buying it as a surprise Birthday gift for
my son. Are you assuring me i will not be disappointed? I work with
the Military and presently in camp serving the nation which is
strictly no calls. My Mode of payment is PayPal because i don't have
access to my bank account online cause am out of town on job duties,
but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting this
transaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the
PayPal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account
with PayPal, it's pretty easy, safe an secure to open one. Just log on
to www.paypal.co.uk . I hope we can complete this transaction as soon
as possible. Less I forgot,I wll not be able to view due to nature of
job but I have a Mover that will come for pickup once payment is
cleared in your PayPal account and they will be handling the title for
me. I look forward to hearing from you with your PayPal information as
requested below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Address for Pick Up:
Phone Number:

Awaiting your response asap.

Thanks

The scam is in setting up a Paypal account through a false site I imagine.

I nearly fell for it first time, well thought it was possibly genuine but then you realise it can't be. This time I replied that as I'd just won the lottery money wasn't important but getting it off my drive was, therefore I was delighted to let him have it for nothing as a surprise Christmas gift. just let me have the delivery address which of course has not been forth coming!

Anyway, I though I'd share just in case someone else is tempted by the offer he makes.

Oneputt replied on 10/12/2019 15:20

Posted on 10/12/2019 15:20

Definitely a scam. My nephew is still in the military and serves in worldwide locations and can always get internet links for personal stuff.

Tinwheeler replied on 10/12/2019 15:27

Posted on 10/12/2019 15:27

I’m not sure how the scam works but I’ve seen this before either on this forum or another.

I love the reply DW sent!

moulesy replied on 10/12/2019 15:33

Posted on 10/12/2019 15:33

I had exactly the same reply when I advertised our van on the club's site. I did reply to say that there was no way I would set up a PayPal account but was quite prepared to hold the van until receipt of a cheque in the post or a banker's draft. I got a reply to say that only PayPal was acceptable so mailed back to decline.

I wasn't 100% sure at the time but it clearly is a scam - wish I'didn't thought of such an inventive reply - is it possible for the club to investigate the  source,  I wonder?

rjb replied on 10/12/2019 15:36

Posted on 10/12/2019 15:36

I had same just emailed back a load of abuse never heard anymore sold following week to a genuine buyer

Tracy123 replied on 10/12/2019 15:42

Posted on 10/12/2019 15:42

Hi All,

The Classified section on our website is run by the Friday Ad group and Caravans For Sale website. We do warn people there are scams out there and what to look out for which you can find on the following link.....https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravan-club-classifieds/scam-warning/. On that link there is an email address to send any reports of suspected scams so if you have encountered this it would be really appreciated to email the details.

Many Thanks

Tracy

Moderator Edit

Thanks to Tracy for the warning.  As this has been discussed on several occasions, and we all now know that it's a scam, I'll lock the thread with thanks to contributors.

SeasideBill replied on 10/12/2019 15:56

Posted on 10/12/2019 15:56

Variations on that scam have been around for a few years now. A common variation is the offer to set up an escrow account rather than use Paypal, but it’s the same process. As well as being implausible the poor translation from Nigerian (or wherever) to English is another give-away. 

I’ve sold a few classic cars over the years and on almost every occasion I’ll get one or more contacts like that. Same happens in reverse on eBay when a car/caravan etc is listed at bargain price with listing based on cloned photos/details. When you enquire, the item just happens to be overseas, but seller has a proposition for you. It can be quite fun winding them up.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook