Red Pennant - a word of caution !

Jag12 replied on 05/07/2016 22:04

Posted on 05/07/2016 22:04

I'm not out to knock Red Pennant but it didn't work out for me at all.

My Volvo had transmission problems. I telephoned Red Pennant first. They could take the car to the nearest garage ( a Renault dealer)and the caravan onto the site I had booked. My car is under warranty and the nearest Volvo dealer is 81 kms away - 10 kms from the site we are heading to. I insist that the car has to go to the Volvo agent - no can do !!. Volvo Assist take my caravan to the site I wanted and the car to the dealer. Thanks for nothing Red Pennant ! The car has a serious auto gearbox problem and has to go back to the UK to be repaired. I call Red Pennant and ask for a towcar so with the caravan we can continue our holiday. No problem - they offer a Toyota Avensis or a Renault Megane. Hang on !! what happened to the 85 % rule - I've got a Bailey Vigo @ 1500 kg - are you trying to kill us. No problem sir it can tow 1600 kg. No way ! I need a vehicle with 1800 -1900 kerbweight. Many hours later a phone call - we have a Mercedes with the right kerbweight. Great ! only problem our dog (a Dalmation on the insurance) has to travel back in a cage. Do they supply a cage ? No you have to supply it - I have no idea where to get one but do you refund the cost - no ! in that case NO ! Next day good( ?) news - they found us a Volkswagen Transporter Van - You are joking ?? Thanks but NO thanks we will talk to Volvo - they repatriated our car and caravan and provided us with a Opel Insignia( that our Dalmation was allowed into) with all hotel costs back to our door in the UK. Nice one Red Pennant - it didn't cost you a penny but you will never ever get a penny out of me again !!!! This rant is only aimed at people with a car thats still under manufacturers warranty and travel with a larger dog - I'm sure others will receive a good service providing they are willing to risk their lives with a totally underweight tow car  and are lucky enough to return to the UK with their caravan.

Jean replied on 07/07/2016 09:12

Posted on 07/07/2016 09:12

Dear Jag 12 I’m sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the service on this occasion.  I will be investigating the assistance and the concerns you have raised and will respond as soon as I can.        

Jean replied on 08/07/2016 16:25

Posted on 08/07/2016 16:25

Jag 12   Thank you for your time today to discuss your feedback with our Emergency Services Manager.  We appreciate the opportunity to talk about the issues you raised and we hope you feel the matter has been addressed to your satisfaction.  Have a lovely weekend. 

IanH replied on 08/07/2016 18:49

Posted on 08/07/2016 18:49

Go on then Jag12.......how much cash did you get? Wink

replied on 08/07/2016 20:55

Posted on 08/07/2016 20:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Wildwood replied on 08/07/2016 21:13

Posted on 08/07/2016 21:13

Does the Volvo scheme cover you if the problem is the caravan. I suspect not and if I am right could leave you with a big and expensive hole in your cover.

It does seem Mayday got it wrong on this occassion and hopefully we will hear more. It is simply not acceptable for a car to be sent to the wrong manufacturers dealer and I am not sure how high up the chain of command this got but I hope someone was hauled over the coals.

As for cost it is very cheap compared with AAand RAC offerings and has no size restrictions.

ValDa replied on 08/07/2016 21:38

Posted on 08/07/2016 21:38

Whereabouts was this?  In Europe, obviously, as you're using Red Pennant, but it would be interesting to know anyway.  It would be interesting to know others' experiences with other 'brand' breakdown services - we have Ford Assist, and I'm sure there must be many others, but if you're in Europe how do these work in practice?  Anyone want to share any other experiences.

From experience, (not with Red Pennant but other breakdown operators) it seems to me that the service you get depends on whether the person sent out to rescue you is a Mr Jobsworth or a Mr I'll Go OutOfMyWay-ToHelpYou.

replied on 08/07/2016 21:42

Posted on 08/07/2016 21:42

replied on 08/07/2016 22:02

Posted on 08/07/2016 22:02

EmilysDad replied on 08/07/2016 22:26

Posted on 08/07/2016 22:26

In fact Volvo Assist does cover breakdown of towed trailers.  ...

Car manufacturers'  breakdown cover generally only covers the trailer if the car breaks down .... not if the trailer does

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook