My Cover

Simon Wainwright replied on 28/04/2020 12:28

Posted on 28/04/2020 12:28

Beware the Green Flag policy wording.

Whilst most that have been rescued have been no doubt helped by Green Flag/Mayday, it is important to remember that the company is owned by Direct Line so they are not necessarily knights in shining armor.

From the level of dissent that I have read in 'Club-Together' it is clear that on occasion members have not received the level of service from Green Flag that they expected.

My surprise is that anyone paid for cover from Green Flag in the first place. This is because the wording of the cover document gives poor and unclear to commitment from the company to the traveler in the time of most need.  Nowhere in the offer does Green Flag say that they will recover vehicle and caravan. So travelers that think they may be covered do not in effect have an undertaking. Indeed the 'Dual Recovery' clause specifically omits the word caravan.

Is this so that if Green Flag gets too busy, they can if they wish, chose to just leave the members caravan on the hard shoulder?

eurortraveller replied on 28/04/2020 13:43

Posted on 28/04/2020 13:43

With regard to your last sentence there is no question of a caravan being left on the hard shoulder of a motorway. It just doesn't happen and the police and highways agency would not allow it to happen. 

The broken down car and caravan will be taken to a safe place or a garage where a repair can be undertaken. What happens after that if a repair cannot be managed depends on which of the three levels of Green Flag cover one has, or whether it is Mayday cover which Green Flag operates. All those four levels of cover differ but the policy documents spell out the options. 

Simon Wainwright replied on 28/04/2020 17:24

Posted on 28/04/2020 17:24

I am not suggesting that Green Flag have ever left a caravan on the hard shoulder, its just that they are under no obligation to recover the van. It is after all the travelers responsibility.

The policy documents are, it seems deliberately vague. They clearly do not spell out the options.

lordsward replied on 28/04/2020 20:31

Posted on 28/04/2020 16:28 by cyberyacht

There may well  be differing cover levels between Green Flag and Mayday.

Posted on 28/04/2020 20:31

I'd be interested to know if there is a difference and if so, what those differences are.

eurortraveller replied on 28/04/2020 20:49

Posted on 28/04/2020 20:31 by lordsward

I'd be interested to know if there is a difference and if so, what those differences are.

Posted on 28/04/2020 20:49

There are websites and policy documents on line for Green Flag's three levels of cover and also for CMC Mayday which Green Flag operates. There's no short cut to reading them carefully. 

For instance Green Flag's top level of cover (Europlus) includes continental breakdown cover, but CMC Mayday is strictly UK only. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook