Insurance clause

Simon Todd replied on 17/03/2017 15:35

Posted on 17/03/2017 15:35

Just had my insurance renewal through and noticed a clause about alarms. Seems you have to set ALL parts of the alarm when you are leaving it (even for a few minutes). I called up and asked because when I stay on a club site and go for a shower, I leave the dog in the caravan and disable the interior movement sensor but put the alarm on. Been told on the phone I can't do that so have to remove the alarm from my policy. Alarm discount was £78.39.

My policy was already £341 for a £20k 1 year old van in CASSOA gold storage in Devon. I din't want to but looks like I'm forced to look elsewhere as over £400 is stupid money. My car is worth nearly double and the insurance is less than £200 for fully comp.

Simon

replied on 17/03/2017 15:53

Posted on 17/03/2017 15:53

We would not put our alarm on to go elsewhere on the site. Our contents are not included and I very much doubt that somebody is going to turn up, burn off the wheel lock on a CC site whilst I am in the shower. 

It is in fact rare for us both to be missing at the same time as I usually go to the shower block at 6.30am and OH after 7.15am

By all means look elsewhere but I doubt if their answer will be different.

allanandjean replied on 17/03/2017 16:46

Posted on 17/03/2017 16:46

Simon, there are of course many variables with van insurance but we have just done ours, a three year old Lunar valued at £16500, and it was £200.

At no time in the discussions with my old, or new, insurers was there any mention of the alarm.

Re the alarm, ours is on when in storage and when parked while travelling but we did have issues when new as Lunar had wired the alarm connector the wrong way around so setting the alarm meant that you were activating it.

Tracy123 replied on 17/03/2017 16:48

Posted on 17/03/2017 16:48

Hi Simon,

I have just checked with an insurance colleague and been advised for many years there has been an endorsement on our caravan policies regarding alarms as follows:-

The Tilt/Movement/Corner Steady Sensor alarm system and all locks shall have been put into full and effective operation at all times when the caravan is not being towed or when it is parked and not occupied.

If this is the case then you receive a 10% discount. Therefore, the discount would have been approx £34.10 from the price you have quoted.

To be fair, I don't think you can compare caravan insurance with a car as they are totally different in the way of uses.

I hope this explains a little for you and you can understand why we cannot give the discount when the alarm is not set.

Kind Regards

Tracy

SteveL replied on 17/03/2017 18:08

Posted on 17/03/2017 18:08

If this is the case then you receive a 10% discount. Therefore, the discount would have been approx £34.10 from the price you have quoted.

Tracy I thought the discount was on the full cost of the policy. If so that would account for the quoted figure of £78.39. Your 10% figure is based on the final cost. Therefore if they stopped claiming the alarm discount, the policy total would not just increase by that figure.

dmiller555 replied on 18/03/2017 09:15

Posted on 18/03/2017 09:15

In the event of an incident how would the insurance company know whether or not the alarm had been set, does the alarm have some sort of recording device built-in?

replied on 18/03/2017 09:22

Posted on 18/03/2017 09:22

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Wildwood replied on 18/03/2017 11:31

Posted on 18/03/2017 11:31

I have to agree with the point that a loss is unlikely if you have just gone for a shower and would not worry about it. The shower is probably in the morning when there are plenty of people about and breaking into a caravan would simply attract too much attention and there is no time to steal it if it has a decent wheel lock and even more so an awning.

If the dog is big enough that would also put off thieves.

On the question of how would they know if the alarm was set then it would be very difficult for them to prove it either way, if you said it was, although if you had a dog inside the answer is obvious.

The systems will vary as to how easy they are to disable but I am convinced if I broke into our old Avondale I could do this before the alarm went off, although you would have to know the system,and even then the siren was pathetic and might not attract attention if on for seconds.

Metheven replied on 18/03/2017 11:44

Posted on 18/03/2017 11:44

The Tilt/Movement/Corner Steady Sensor alarm system and all locks shall have been put into full and effective operation at all times when the caravan is not being towed or when it is parked and not occupied.

Under 'definitions' of the policy nowhere is occupant defined, maybe the dog could be defined as being the occupier.

Simon Todd replied on 18/03/2017 13:28

Posted on 18/03/2017 11:44 by Metheven

Under 'definitions' of the policy nowhere is occupant defined, maybe the dog could be defined as being the occupier.

Posted on 18/03/2017 13:28

Now I like that thought. as long as they don't charge on site for a 3rd occupant!!

Simon

Quantox replied on 19/03/2017 08:31

Posted on 19/03/2017 08:31

Interested to know where the OP gets fully comp insurance  for less than £200 for a car worth almost £40k !

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook