Green cards

oldagetraveller replied on 29/04/2019 20:19

Posted on 29/04/2019 20:19

There was a previous thread on this in February, but times have changed.  We now leave EU on 31 October or sooner if a deal is reached.  Devitts are now saying "We are advising to allow 3 weeks to have a green card to be sent to you. There is a £15 charge to have the green card issued, please contact our offices on 0345 300 4870 closer to the dates you will be travelling to have this issued".

We depart on May 28th and return on June 17th or thereabouts,  It is possible a deal will be struck while we are away, probable that one won't.  I thought perhaps that if a deal was struck while I was away I could contact Devitts and get one by e-mail.  When I was with Saga previously a green card was issued instantly, by e-mail, at no charge.

Why does it take Devitts three weeks?

Do I pay £15 now and possibly waste my money?

Do I bank on no Brexit and risk driving uninsured?

Bear in mind I have already wasted £11 on international driving licences for France and Spain which I do not need.

Tammygirl replied on 29/04/2019 22:11

Posted on 29/04/2019 22:11

OAT, Devitts are charging for a green card surprised, I've not heard of any other company doing so.

We are due to travel this coming weekend and returning a week after you. We are insured with SAGA and rang them for advice they said they are issuing a green cards for both the car and caravan. We received ours in a matter of days free of charge. Like you we have paid for the IDP for France and Spain.

I hope you sort this out and have a good holiday.

allanandjean replied on 29/04/2019 22:14

Posted on 29/04/2019 22:14

It’s a right pain but due to your dates it looks like you leave the day before we could leave the EU, before the EU elections, and as such dont have the time to wait and see.

In the scheme of things £26 is probably a small % increase on your total holiday cost so maybe best to pay up, smile and have a great holiday.

oldagetraveller replied on 29/04/2019 23:28

Posted on 29/04/2019 22:14 by allanandjean

It’s a right pain but due to your dates it looks like you leave the day before we could leave the EU, before the EU elections, and as such dont have the time to wait and see.

In the scheme of things £26 is probably a small % increase on your total holiday cost so maybe best to pay up, smile and have a great holiday.

Posted on 29/04/2019 23:28

Absolutely right, £26 is not a huge amount in the scheme of things, but it is a meal out.  More important though it is a matter of principal.  Why do they charge when others don't, and why does it take so long?

Wildwood replied on 30/04/2019 11:58

Posted on 30/04/2019 11:58

Charges for green cards vary between insurance companies. Devitts are brokers, so I am not clear if they are making a charge for the work they have to do or it is the insurer they use, or a bit of both.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook