Change to Red pennant

obbernockle replied on 03/08/2018 20:58

Posted on 03/08/2018 20:58

The news from the club today that Red pennant cover will start at the Port and not from departure from home is interesting. Does anyone know whether we get to chose our insurance start date or do we just get what were told? Also, does anyone know how the consultation was done?

eurortraveller replied on 03/08/2018 22:17

Posted on 03/08/2018 22:17

It's actually a relaxation of the previous rules. The policy MAY now start at the port if you so wish, or it may start from home if you prefer that and prefer to pay for a longer period. Did that need consultation? Does it cause a problem? 

Metheven replied on 03/08/2018 23:28

Posted on 03/08/2018 23:28

does anyone know how the consultation was done?

Yes, they listened and acted on the survey results, made sense to me.

Tammygirl replied on 03/08/2018 23:40

Posted on 03/08/2018 23:28 by Metheven

does anyone know how the consultation was done?

Yes, they listened and acted on the survey results, made sense to me.

Posted on 03/08/2018 23:40

Yes I believe so, there was a number of members myself included that questioned why the policy should have to start the day you leave 'home' and remain in place until you return 'home' as most of us have UK breakdown cover why was this required. 

The benefit is(the club said) that should you breakdown on the way to the ferry the Red Penant cover allows you to re-book your crossing at no cost to yourself. 

The policy could however,  finish at a time you estimated that you could arrive home 'if' you were going straight home from the return ferry.

We often take a few days to get to the ferry, as we stop off to visit our children on the way. We also do the same on the way back, so it could take us 2 weeks to get home. Why would you want to pay the high prices of Red Penant for that period (on return) when you already have UK breakdown cover. 

This new approach from the club is very welcome to those of us that take our time to and from the ferry.

obbernockle replied on 04/08/2018 09:47

Posted on 04/08/2018 09:47

The change is a good one according to what has been said here.

Thanks all.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook