CC - Devitt Car Insurance - Never Again !

iDriver replied on 17/02/2014 15:46

Posted on 17/02/2014 15:46

I got my renewal notice for my (CRV) car Insurance from LV and did as normal, I went on a comparrison website.

As expected the renewal was overpriced and the best of it was that LV came out best quote on the comparison website ?

Anyway, I put that figure in the CC/Devitt insurance website and they bettered it so I paid the deposit and spread the rest over 12 months. 

All was fine until the papers came through and they wanted the other quote in writing? I have never had such a thing before, either CC/Devitt are quoting me for insurance or they are not, it matters not what other on-line or written quotes I have.

I then rang CC/Devitt to disuss the issue and after waiting 10 minutes listening to music withou the option to request a ring back I spoke to Jackie. The upshot was they wanted ME to ring LV and sort out for LV to allow CC / Devitt to speak to them about my quote from LV?

If that is what they call customer service at CC / Devitt then I am sorry but they are wrong. I have asked for my depost to be refunded and I shall use the remaining 10 days to sort out cover with a decent company.

Yet again, a CC member gets NO SERVICE from the  CC !!!

davebriers replied on 29/06/2017 18:35

Posted on 29/06/2017 18:35

I also am regreting taking insurance with rogues .l will not be renewing my club membership . I cant believe why the club is using these money grabbing clowns.

Randomcamper replied on 30/06/2017 12:13

Posted on 30/06/2017 12:13

ID    -  non of what you say surprises me, it is time the government outlawed the ridiculous practice of insurance companies having better quotes on the comparison sites than they offer customers on renewal.

Legalised theft from vulnerable people and others not able or willing to shop around upon each and every policy renewal in the household.....

Insurance companies should be forced to issue their "best quote" on renewal, at least them having to quote you last years premium encourages you to shop around now.....

In regard to the quotes received on the comparison site, did the few best not come to you in email form? I would have been tempted to send them that as "proof" although I agree you shouldn't have to.....

darenlines replied on 05/07/2017 14:36

Posted on 05/07/2017 14:36

I have to concur with everything you've said about this company, they have behaved like some a shoddy back street cowboy set up

customer services ( what customer services)

i'm happy for CC to get a kick back from promoting insurance through the club.

I do however expect it to be with an effective and professional company that members can have confidence in devitts are not one of these companies !

Oneputt replied on 05/07/2017 16:05

Posted on 05/07/2017 16:05

Perhaps now is the time for one of the full time staff champions to make a comment  about this and other so so practices?

DianneT replied on 05/07/2017 19:22

Posted on 05/07/2017 19:22

We have had both Car and Caravan insured by the Club and Debits for 14 years.  We have had excellent service from them when claiming.  Every year when renewal is due I review the value of both vehicles and reduce it which has reduced the payments we make monthly.

We have had two claims over the years and they have not hiked up the payment.

DianneT

dinny replied on 05/07/2017 23:01

Posted on 05/07/2017 23:01

Same as idriver that a performance went on for about a month  l won't  be taking  out insurance  with devitt   again unfortunately   paid for full year lesson learned 

DSB replied on 06/07/2017 14:33

Posted on 06/07/2017 14:33

When I have changed car insurance companies I have frequently been asked for documentation of cost of cover (in cases where the new insurance company offers to beat a quote) and proof of no claims.

I can't speak highly enough of the Caravan Insurance through the Club (although I don't think this goes through Devitt - but I stand to be corrected)

I haven't had car insurance with the Club for a number of years now, but was impressed with the House and Contents Insurance arranged for the Club through Devitt.  Not only is the cover excellent, but it was quite a bit cheaper than the quotes I got from a comparison site.

I do get really annoyed with companies who put up costs year after year, offer nothing for loyalty, but throw offers at 'new business'.  I stopped my National Trust membership, partly because of this.

David

replied on 07/07/2017 21:55

Posted on 07/07/2017 21:55

When a company offers to beat a quote from another insurer it is standard practice to request the evidence

Lansdorf replied on 07/07/2017 22:03

Posted on 05/07/2017 19:22 by DianneT

We have had both Car and Caravan insured by the Club and Debits for 14 years.  We have had excellent service from them when claiming.  Every year when renewal is due I review the value of both vehicles and reduce it which has reduced the payments we make monthly.

We have had two claims over the years and they have not hiked up the payment.

DianneT

Posted on 07/07/2017 22:03

We too have had cars, caravans and house insured through the club for a good number of years. At any one time we would have both cars, the van and the house insured with them. The cars go through Devitts but I think the van and the house go through the club. I have always found them competitive on a like for like basis but this year I got a shock when my tow car renewal came through. A five year old BMW X3...........£690!! I phone up to ask if they had made a typing error.  I was told that it was correct and unfortunately they could not negotiate on the premium. I phoned the NFU and gave them my insurance schedule details and asked them for a quote on the X3....... £350. Enough said.

So much for loyalty and no claims over all those years.

Extugger replied on 09/07/2017 06:51

Posted on 09/07/2017 06:51

iD,

Like you, I took out a policy with CC/Devitts for caravan insurance and enquired if the cover could include breakdown insurance (European) to be told 'Yes'

However, on reading the 'bumph' and after a couple more calls, no breakdown cover was available. A call to the branch manager ensued, who apologised profusely, claiming the agent I had spoken to was new and needed more training! He offered to refund £20 to which I told him where to stick his policy and also told him I was referring the matter to the FSA Ombudsman (and there's another toothless tiger IMHO)

On calling the CC to advise them of my 'mis-sold' policy, all i got was the, 'Well, we've been using them for years and we don't give a monkeys about your bad experience' speech. 

Consequently, my insurances are not with the CC, neither is my breakdown cover. On using comparison sites and hearing about renewal prices, it's easy to see why 'money saving' experts advise you to shop around, particularly where insurance is concerned.

Loyalty is not a word in their vocabulary 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook