Camper 660 sat nav update

DavidID replied on 11/06/2017 23:32

Posted on 11/06/2017 23:32

Last year I bought an Avtex Garmin Camper 660 Caravan Club edition sat nav which has proved very useful both in the UK and in Europe. Whenever I connect the sat nav up to my computer it updates mapping etc via Garmin Express but this does not update the sat nav's ACSI database nor, I presume, the Caravan and Motorhome Club's database which leaves me with the 2016 listings. Can anyone advise me how I can update these listings?

HelenKevin replied on 12/06/2017 11:34

Posted on 12/06/2017 11:34

Hi David,

We are looking to replace our SatNav - is the Avtec one good please?  We had a the Ventura and thought it was terrible so don't want to splash out for a Caravan club model again without a recommendation!

Thank in advance

Helen and Kevin

young thomas replied on 12/06/2017 13:17

Posted on 12/06/2017 13:17

POI files are easily found for many and various camping organisations, by visiting the indiviual provider (CC, C&CC, ACSI etc) or Archies Camping which has a large selection to choose from.

of course, now the tricky bit.....

each of these foles will need to be uploaded to the POI/map area of the device you are using....

my two old Tomtoms are a piece of cake.....windows drag and drop....

newer (or different tomtoms) and other brands may have their own proprietry technique for uploading.

DavidID replied on 12/06/2017 13:21

Posted on 12/06/2017 13:21

Helen and Kevin

We have found it useful both solo and when towing in the UK and abroad. In our early use it did take us into the middle of nowhere in Kent but I think this was human error! This is our first sat nav so I'm no expert and we do still use maps to choose routes occasionally. Hope this helps.

replied on 17/06/2017 20:53

Posted on 17/06/2017 20:53

I have had 3 satnavs up to now and the best by far is the Avtex/ Garmin, I have had no problems with it both here and through Germany and the Netherlands.

little n LARGE replied on 03/07/2017 19:57

Posted on 03/07/2017 19:57

I have a 2013 ventura 6 series sat nav,although i have had no probs with directions etc,i have never been able to update maps or club sites,is this still possible when it's so old as i only use it when towing and don't really want to buy a new one for so little usage

Heidi replied on 01/03/2018 11:13

Posted on 11/06/2017 23:32 by DavidID

Last year I bought an Avtex Garmin Camper 660 Caravan Club edition sat nav which has proved very useful both in the UK and in Europe. Whenever I connect the sat nav up to my computer it updates mapping etc via Garmin Express but this does not update the sat nav's ACSI database nor, I presume, the Caravan and Motorhome Club's database which leaves me with the 2016 listings. Can anyone advise me how I can update these listings?

Posted on 01/03/2018 11:13

I've had similar problems to this.  I booked France sites for this summer only to find one is not on the camper 660 CMC database. I downloaded updates from Garmin but it is still not there.  To make matters worse it has also Deleted User the Acsi data base!  Tried contacting CMC Technical people this week for help.

young thomas replied on 01/03/2018 15:13

Posted on 01/03/2018 15:13

As I said at the top of the thread, you need to know where to get the latest files and then how to update the satnav.

im not familiar with the updating process on models other than Tomtom but I do know where to get the latest data...

a) the providers source website (ACSI, CC, CCC etc) 

b) a consolidated set of data from someone like Archies Camping.

it might take a bit of computer searching and downloading to assemble the files (I've done this for many years so am familiar with the process) but each satnav brand has its own update procedure.

if recent TomTom models are anything to go by, things are a lot more difficult (slow and clunky) than on older models.....a simple drag and drop from a PC.

im happy to help if I can, let me know....good luck.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook