Buying Red Pennant online - anomaly

Quasar524 replied on 01/06/2017 08:52

Posted on 01/06/2017 08:52

Just tried to buy Red Pennant "Motoring Only" cover online.  Filled in the appropriate bit of the application, but was then asked to complete a short medical questionaire.  As I have a condition that RP will not cover (but no other insurer has refused) the application was then "referred" so I now have to wait until after 9.00 and try to get through on the phone.

I can see no reason at all why motoring only cover should require any medical information, this is certainly the first time in a long life of buying motoring cover that this has happened.

Is it another quirky C&MC approach to designing insurance cover, or simply another IT design failure?

replied on 01/06/2017 09:12

Posted on 01/06/2017 09:12

I presume that Red Pennant includes personal recovery in case of illness? That being the case I find it unsurprising

Quasar524 replied on 01/06/2017 09:18

Posted on 01/06/2017 09:18

No, it turned out that I failed to click a radio button early in the first form to change the default assumption that I was buying motoring AND personal cover.   Fortunately I got through straight away by phone, and the very nice lady at the call centre said it often happens, so possibly the IT folk could look at re-designing the form's layout.

So a bit of Mea Culpa.....cry

RowenaBCAMC replied on 01/06/2017 09:21

Posted on 01/06/2017 09:21

Pleased to hear you have got this sorted Quasar524 and I've forwarded the discussion on to the Red Pennant team for their reference. 

Quasar524 replied on 01/06/2017 09:57

Posted on 01/06/2017 09:57

Hi Rowena,  thanks for that.

Can I suggest something else you could raise with the RP team?  I'm more than happy to receive the documents by email, which I assume the Club likes as it saves a bit of cost.  But it would be really good if the emailed versions of the documents were redesigned without the large colour blocks which cost members a small fortune in ink or toner to print out.

EJB986 replied on 01/06/2017 12:44

Posted on 01/06/2017 12:44

Have just taken out a new Red Pennant, medical and breakdown, as we do most years.

After completing the online details for a quote I then had to phone for the actual cost...I then had to phone again, when I had a start date, to start the policy.

Not too important but could be simpler!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook