Booking a ferry on a weekend

Oscar2 replied on 02/07/2017 11:42

Posted on 02/07/2017 11:42

Today is Sunday and I am in Spain trying to book a ferry back via Calais. I have tried 3 times but the website will not process my payment 

I have tried the "Live Chat" to see what is wrong but there is nobody there....

I have rung but all I get is a answerphone...

I do not have internet after today........

So I am up the creek without a paddle!

I guess lots of people have had a similar problem?

eurortraveller replied on 02/07/2017 16:09

Posted on 02/07/2017 16:09

If it's urgent you can book directly on line or  by phone with DFDS or with P&O Ferries.   Bon voyage. 

young thomas replied on 02/07/2017 16:19

Posted on 02/07/2017 16:19

no need to panic.

you arent going to be in Calais for a while, it will be at least monday by the time you get there, book/phone then.

Oscar2 replied on 02/07/2017 17:21

Posted on 02/07/2017 17:21

Thanks for the replies.

I am not panicking, and have just booked direct with the ferry company, just a bit miffed that I could not get the £20 discount by going via the club.

Missing a £20 discount make a lad from Yorkshire cry!

Wonder if they will knock it off my subs next year......

Tammygirl replied on 02/07/2017 17:45

Posted on 02/07/2017 17:21 by Oscar2

Thanks for the replies.

I am not panicking, and have just booked direct with the ferry company, just a bit miffed that I could not get the £20 discount by going via the club.

Missing a £20 discount make a lad from Yorkshire cry!

Wonder if they will knock it off my subs next year......

Posted on 02/07/2017 17:45

Did you not mention that you are a club member? I seem to remember about a year or so ago someone else complained about the same thing, a staff member came on and said that out of club hours the ferry companies will treat bookings as if you are a member, or am I mistakenundecided 

Could you not have done what BB suggested and waited until Monday morning and phoned the club, we've done that a few times as we usually on buy our outbound ferry prior to going and book return once we know when and which ferry port we are going to use. Another tip from a staff member was to try and allow more than 24hrs if possible as sometimes they will charge more for late bookings.

Wildwood replied on 03/07/2017 15:20

Posted on 03/07/2017 15:20

The club are losing out on business by not opening at weekends but it may be the extra business gained would not cover the extra cost. It might be worth them trying it out though, to see what the take up was.

Not sure why the lack of internet on the Monday was a problem. Frankly if you know what you want the phone is quicker and easier and you might get advice which saves you money or helps improve the trip.

Sorry but why waste money when you do not need to by insisting on using the internet on a Sunday.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook