Avtex Sat Nav

Srunciman replied on 06/04/2019 20:53

Posted on 06/04/2019 20:53

Hello fellow caravanners and Motorhome / campervaners

Help .. Can anyone help me by telling me how to input Site co-ordinates into my avtex sat nav in the correct format.. 

I am travelling to France this year, and rather than using post codes I would like to use the co-ordinates given in the ACSI book..  ie.. N52 05 31 E 06 02 05 this is in degrees minutes and seconds.. I know which section to go to in the sat nav.. and it does give me a choice of various formats to use and lets me select the one I want .. in theory! 

My problem is that the above format is not one of the options!! Maybe I am doing something wrong? I have tried in vain to find the answer in the manual etc.. and on line.. but have had no joy.

if anyone can point me in the right direction ( no pun intended!!) I would be really grateful..

many thanks ..  Sandra an extremely frustrated motorhomer.

young thomas replied on 06/04/2019 21:45

Posted on 06/04/2019 21:45

Hi Sandra, 

Here are examples of formats that generally work:
Degrees, minutes, and seconds (DMS): 41°24'12.2"N 2°10'26.5"E.
Degrees and decimal minutes (DMM): 41 24.2028, 2 10.4418.
Decimal degrees (DD): 41.40338, 2.17403.

if for some reason you can't input in the format you have from the ACSI book, there are Google converter pages that will change what you have into what the satnav wants...

OTOH, if you're handy with a PC, you can upload the ACSI point of interest (POI) to the unit and then navigate to one of those without the need for typing..

good luck.

DavidKlyne replied on 07/04/2019 00:40

Posted on 07/04/2019 00:40

Surely ready made POI's would be the best option if they are available for the destinations you have in mind, saves a lot of manual keying.

David

young thomas replied on 07/04/2019 08:32

Posted on 07/04/2019 08:32

yes, David that's true, provided you know where to get them and are fully familiar with loading them onto the device...

some are anything but user friendly...

my old Tomtom was soooo easy, new one much harder work, progress eh?

i see Tomtom have just released a 'new generation' of satnavs...I hope all the user complaints have been taken on board...devices great when up and running but usability nosedived a few years back...

DavidKlyne replied on 07/04/2019 09:45

Posted on 07/04/2019 09:45

BB

I am seriously thinking of moving away from TomTom to another brand because I don't like their current system of adding POI's. I suppose the widespread use of built in systems has dumbed down the need for user input and probably TomTom as a major player in the built in market don't see much to be gained from having an easy system!!!

David

Biljul replied on 07/04/2019 10:04

Posted on 07/04/2019 10:04

We use "Here we go" app on our phone, the ACSI app will automatically open the site as a destination when you hit the directions button. The apps. do not need a data connection-----(download the area maps onto your phone at home). Your phone needs to have location on. The Here we go app.is free to download and use. It is not specifically for large units so check your route before driving it. It has taken us through France, Germany etc.no problem. 

rayjsj replied on 07/04/2019 11:59

Posted on 07/04/2019 08:32 by young thomas

yes, David that's true, provided you know where to get them and are fully familiar with loading them onto the device...

some are anything but user friendly...

my old Tomtom was soooo easy, new one much harder work, progress eh?

i see Tomtom have just released a 'new generation' of satnavs...I hope all the user complaints have been taken on board...devices great when up and running but usability nosedived a few years back...

Posted on 07/04/2019 11:59

We have a Tom Tom 1005 camper version (bought with a CMC discount in 2012) with lifetime UK mapping updates.  How long is a 'lifetime' according to TomTom ?  we are still pleased with it as I have lots of POIs  downloaded (easily)and are able to input our Vans dimensions to avoid nasty suprises. Only tour the UK now so European updates not required. And we feel no need to buy a 'New' sat nav.

Will our 'lifetime' soon expire😨

Avoid 'inbuilt' sat navs like the plague. prefer portables.

Srunciman replied on 07/04/2019 17:23

Posted on 07/04/2019 17:23

Thanks for all of your replies, I am going to see if Garmin can explain.  I could use my phone, but I bought this sat nav specifically so that I can input our Motorhome dimensions which is really helpful when driving in France & Spain as there are lots of narrow roads. πŸšπŸšπŸ™‚

cyberyacht replied on 08/04/2019 07:01

Posted on 08/04/2019 07:01

My TomTom based inbuilt satnav won't take POI files. It only had a one-time map update, so now it is a bit of a pricey operation to keep updating maps. Grrr. yell

BugsyReece replied on 08/04/2019 15:00

Posted on 08/04/2019 15:00

Hi Sandra.

Simple! I’ve got the same Satnav. Mine was preloaded with the Caravan Club European Sites but I wanted other stuff like you.  Go to the Garmin website. You will find the ACSI ‘POI’s there. Garmin helps you through the process. Also useful if you don’t have it is the Garmin Express software to download map uplates too.

Bon Vacances!!

hitchglitch replied on 08/04/2019 21:35

Posted on 08/04/2019 21:35

You have a Garmin so load Garmin Express on your home pc and enter your model details. This will give you software and lifetime map updates which will be prompted when you synchronise.

From the Garmin website (not Garmin Express) load the Garmin POI (Points of Interest) downloader. You may need to use the search function to locate it.

Go to Archies website (archiescampings) and download European site POIs for Garmin. Put the file in a convenient directory location on your pc.

Run the Garmin downloader and follow the instructions to point it to your Archies file.

You can load to your main device or memory card.

Start up the Garmin and look through the main menu to locate custom POIs. These will take you to the front door of nearly every campsite in Europe. It is extremely reliable to due extensive customer feedback and far simpler than using coordinates.

I notice that previous years Archie has split files into ACSI and normal but now it’s just one file.

Post again if you get stuck. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook