Annual Travel Insurance

SRC59 replied on 17/05/2020 18:12

Posted on 17/05/2020 18:12

I renewed my annual travel policy in November of 2019 and used it once for three days in Portugal - with no claims. 

The total cost of the policy was in the order of £200 and usually my wife and I would have around 3 to 4 holidays a year – excellent value. 

When the current virus situation hit I emailed the Caravan Club asking then to suspend my policy as the advice at that time was to avoid all overseas travel. I received several responses over a two month period stating that the underwriters had been asked to make a decision. I never received an answer and had to chase things up regularly– fair enough they were busy. But two months for an answer to a simple administrative question? 

A few weeks ago I telephoned the Club and asked what progress had been made. The person I spoke to said that the underwriters were adamant that there would be no refunds, no suspensions of any policy – nothing. They said that they were pursuing things and would call me back – they haven’t. 

Several insurance companies are offering pro rata refunds for unused insurance policies due to the recent situation. Some are not. I had hoped though, that a ‘Club’ might have offered a more conciliatory approach. 

Had I purchased a single trip policy, it is very likely I would have been refunded. 

I suppose that I will need to ‘take this on the chin’. An insurance policy is based on risk – but in my case there is no risk at all to the underwriters because I will not be travelling. This is not my own choice – but Government advice. 

I didn’t buy my insurance off the underwriters. I bought it from the Club – a Club which promotes itself as having members’ interests at its heart. I won’t be renewing my membership, my travel insurance (obviously) or my Caravan insurance. 

I will take my chances on the open market as I cannot see what the ‘value added’ is from continuing as a member.

Tigi replied on 17/05/2020 19:26

Posted on 17/05/2020 19:26

Are you referring to Red Pennent I don`t quite understand how you used it in Portugal for three days.  The club are quite clear they will not refund RP for policy`s taken out prior to 1st Feb 2020. Regarding the clubs approach to refunds I would say from my own experience of a full refund for Spain they are behaving a lot better than many many other travel companies.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook