WIFI

mmbgeb replied on 20/09/2023 12:19

Posted on 20/09/2023 12:19

Having been a member for over 10 years & paid a yearly charge for WIFI, we stopped at Hurn Lane in Somerset & the pricwe for WIFI was, to say the least, horendous. £5 a day, £15 per week & £25 per month. What has happened??? We pay enough for sites & membership, now an added cost.

Not Happy, will be cancelling my membership.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/09/2023 13:32

Posted on 20/09/2023 13:32

Thanks for the correction, Steve. I’m usually amongst the first to point out nothing is free. "Included in the site fee" is the accurate term.

young thomas replied on 20/09/2023 14:03

Posted on 20/09/2023 14:03

The above official CAMC link mentions 'free' wifi on numerous occasions🤷🏻‍♂️

Customers will usually use the same terminology that the 'offering' supplier uses...hence 'free wifi to your pitch' etc.....

Dyddy replied on 20/09/2023 14:33

Posted on 20/09/2023 14:33

I'm far from an expert in such things, as a layman - could it be that sites everywhere choose to make this a cost option for those that require it as opposed to increasing pitch fees for everyone regardless of use. Some were advocating the use of electric meters to make that fairer for example.

The last time we purchased a days Wifi it was £3 on a site, purely as phone signal was poor. Forgive my ignorance, are the clubs charges for transient use much higher than if one was to sign up & get a mobile data contract? 

young thomas replied on 20/09/2023 14:43

Posted on 20/09/2023 14:43

Dyddy, as you have a phone im guessing you have a certain data allowance as part of the cost?

it's not really possible to say how much data will be needed (everyone's needs are different) nor how much that requirement will cost (much competition out there) but for basic website browsing and email collection 500mb (half a gig) a day should be more than ample.

with cheap providers offering upto 10 gb a month for a tenner or less, the choice is wide.

also, a single phone contract can be shared across devices and used in other locations, here and abroad.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/09/2023 15:09

Posted on 20/09/2023 15:09

My point was that nothing is truly free. CAMC also mentions free showers etc but we all know it’s included in the pitching fee so is, to be precise, at no extra cost. A point debated on several occasions.

Dyddy replied on 20/09/2023 15:16

Posted on 20/09/2023 15:16

Yes occasionally we'll hotspot to watch Amazon / Netflix etc and it gobbles up data young thomas. I think our provider you can buy add on's or just change your plan for the month for higher GB. We don't really use often so not something I've really looked into & on many sites the mobile signal is so pants it would frankly be a waste.

Assuming that paid wifi on sites is unlimited, would that account for charges? Or is it plain old profiteering? 

young thomas replied on 20/09/2023 15:21

Posted on 20/09/2023 15:21

BOGOIITP (buy one get one included in the price) doesn't have the same 'sales cachet' as BOGOF.

I guess it's the same with 'wifi included in the price, same as showers etc....'

listing all the 'free' items separately looks like you're getting a great deal for your money and (as you say) 'as we all know' so does just about every decent campsite.

either way, folk will need to decide if it's 'site wifi' they need and pay for the appropriate service level, or if it's a 3/4/5g mobile data service.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/09/2023 15:25

Posted on 20/09/2023 15:21 by young thomas

BOGOIITP (buy one get one included in the price) doesn't have the same 'sales cachet' as BOGOF.

I guess it's the same with 'wifi included in the price, same as showers etc....'

listing all the 'free' items separately looks like you're getting a great deal for your money and (as you say) 'as we all know' so does just about every decent campsite.

either way, folk will need to decide if it's 'site wifi' they need and pay for the appropriate service level, or if it's a 3/4/5g mobile data service.

Posted on 20/09/2023 15:25

That’s pretty much what I've said. 👍🏻

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook