Wi fi charges

longtermpuller replied on 25/05/2021 17:51

Posted on 25/05/2021 17:51

Why do we have 1 set of prices for daily, weekly, yearly use but 3 different speed bands, from 100mbs down to 1, gold silver and bronze.

the bronze daily rate should be minimal

just back from rowntree park which is bronze, could not even log on the speed was so low

Tinwheeler replied on 25/05/2021 17:59

Posted on 25/05/2021 17:59

You raised this before.

Once you purchase wifi, you can log in at any site. The price would seem to be averaged. Otherwise, you would only be able to use a bronze login at a bronze site and need to buy more access for silver or gold sites and you'd not like that!

longtermpuller replied on 25/05/2021 19:21

Posted on 25/05/2021 19:21

Unfortunately the first two sites we a booked onto 

York rowntree park and new forest centenary are both bronze, and if I payed £30 only to find that you cannot get logged on for 4 weeks I certainly would be unhappy.

now that cafes are fully opened I can get free wifi

JVB66 replied on 25/05/2021 19:35

Posted on 25/05/2021 19:35

Much. of the problems are caused by some expecting the speeds that they may get at home in. places long distances from any open reach/bt connecting cabinets and not noting that until the upgrade is completed by BT?

And trying to stream programmes  that if the clubs info is read that at this time it is not for such purposes, just looking at the websi te and emails

No WiFi is free you pay for it I n what you are expected to purchasewink

The  3 grades of WiFi are what if every one on site does as requested and are all part of the club wide package

Tinwheeler replied on 25/05/2021 20:19

Posted on 25/05/2021 19:21 by longtermpuller

Unfortunately the first two sites we a booked onto 

York rowntree park and new forest centenary are both bronze, and if I payed Β£30 only to find that you cannot get logged on for 4 weeks I certainly would be unhappy.

now that cafes are fully opened I can get free wifi

Posted on 25/05/2021 20:19

Then you're better off to do as I do. Ignore site Wi-fi and make your own arrangements. I find 4G much more reliable.πŸ‘πŸ»

Graydjames replied on 26/05/2021 16:14

Posted on 26/05/2021 16:14

I have to be able to log in to my office system, [with a decent sized screen] as well as wanting good access to the web generally. Like TW, I gave up on the woeful WiFi years ago and now only use my smart phone's 4G connection linked to my laptop through the mobile hotspot. It is far superior to Wifi on any site I have been on (albeit not tried it for a long time).

Roll on widespread 5G!

EmilysDad replied on 26/05/2021 21:52

Posted on 25/05/2021 19:35 by JVB66

Much. of the problems are caused by some expecting the speeds that they may get at home in. places long distances from any open reach/bt connecting cabinets and not noting that until the upgrade is completed by BT?

And trying to stream programmes  that if the clubs info is read that at this time it is not for such purposes, just looking at the websi te and emails

No WiFi is free you pay for it I n what you are expected to purchasewink

The  3 grades of WiFi are what if every one on site does as requested and are all part of the club wide package

Posted on 26/05/2021 21:52

... No WiFi is free you pay for it I n what you are expected to purchasewink

It's free at work. πŸ™„

It's naïve of the club to say ... here is the Interweb, but you can only use a bit of it. Oh! And you can only use it on one gadget. I'm surprised that anyone actually buys it when you can buy far better & more reliable bundles from O2/Vodafone/etc

young thomas replied on 31/05/2021 17:59

Posted on 31/05/2021 17:59

...and you dont need to buy specific 'data only' bundles for, say, a mifi device (which was the case a while back...)

if theyre quick, Vodafone has a deal for existing customers to add a second 100gb for £10 a month sim to their account. this runs for 18 months.

i bought my own mifi device (it even came with 15gb free data) and put the 100gb sim into that.

weve been using it on this tour (3 sites so far) and its been really good. 

as we use plenty of CLs, a 'club package' wouldnt cover all our sites. 

Tammygirl replied on 03/06/2021 09:52

Posted on 03/06/2021 09:52

We gave up on site wifi years ago it was so bad.

We bought a mifi and a card, fantastic works really well even overseas.

I know have a smart phone with a small data package for £5 a month and so far this year it has worked well, I'm not held in a contract I stop it whenever I like or change the package for more data if required.

Why would anyone pay for the site wifi these days undecided

JVB66 replied on 03/06/2021 10:01

Posted on 26/05/2021 21:52 by EmilysDad

... No WiFi is free you pay for it I n what you are expected to purchasewink

It's free at work. πŸ™„

It's naΓ―ve of the club to say ... here is the Interweb, but you can only use a bit of it. Oh! And you can only use it on one gadget. I'm surprised that anyone actually buys it when you can buy far better & more reliable bundles from O2/Vodafone/etc

Posted on 03/06/2021 10:01

Not at the price we get via the club WiFi and the amount of sites we normally use per yearwink

young thomas replied on 03/06/2021 10:40

Posted on 03/06/2021 10:40

I think the point is that, however 'cheap' Club wifi appears to be across multiple sites in a year, its only as good as the quality and speed.

as mentioned, the more users, the more streaming the less quality and speed, hence so many making their own arrangements.

as customers' requirements change (downloading movies to watch later or streaming tv when reception is poor) the demand on site wifi will increase and the performance will degrade proportionately.

some sites weve visited, here and abroad, seem to be able to deliver a pretty darn good wifi system, albeit priced from anything from free to £10 a month.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook