Van Conversion

Yyhsas replied on 29/01/2022 19:08

Posted on 29/01/2022 19:08

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice and guidance if possible about memberships please. We have a Ford Transit van that we have part converted, we have a bed, the van is insulted and paneled, we have a skylight and awning. However we do not have a fitted kitchen area, water facilities or electric installed. 

We stay in campsites when we travel around the UK but we starting to plan for this years adventures and we are considering getting a club membership to have access to better quality, quieter and cleaner sites. 

Do you know if we would be accepted into the club and accepted into sites with our van that is not a full conversion?

Thanks in advance,

Sasha 

Takethedogalong replied on 02/02/2022 10:43

Posted on 02/02/2022 10:43

This Club is more picky than the Caravan and Camping Club, but if you email HQ with photos, they will let you know. Don’t join without checking first though. Somewhere on here there are some details, I will try and find and add a link for you.

Edit, took some searching! This is link to various outfits. The main thing is that a “conversion” is done properly, and not merely a mattress on the floor and a free standing cooker. Things need to be safe, and properly installed.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and-training/advice-for-beginners/outfits-we-welcome-on-our-club-campsites/

Tinwheeler replied on 02/02/2022 13:37

Posted on 02/02/2022 13:37

I get the feeling that this club may be easing up a bit on what's allowed, TDA. They used to specify a unit had to have dedicated sleeping and storage arrangements.

Good advice there to Yyhsas and it’s true the Camping Club is more lenient.

Takethedogalong replied on 02/02/2022 16:38

Posted on 02/02/2022 16:38

Yes, definitely changing. Had we tried with a roof tent on LR years ago, I could just imagine the horror🤣 

Tinwheeler replied on 02/02/2022 16:47

Posted on 02/02/2022 16:38 by Takethedogalong

Yes, definitely changing. Had we tried with a roof tent on LR years ago, I could just imagine the horror🤣 

Posted on 02/02/2022 16:47

Those were the days when anything less than a Cheltenham or Safari was considered lower class 🤣🤣🤣

Takethedogalong replied on 02/02/2022 17:22

Posted on 02/02/2022 17:22

We were definitely categorised as riff raff. An ageing pop top camper van, with two 25 year olds and a huge Rottweiler inside. We were closely inspected every single visit🙄 And that was just the Gulag staff🤣

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook