Ownership

Pathfinder replied on 06/04/2022 21:30

Posted on 06/04/2022 21:30

Having asked this question before and not getting an answer, like many other members.

Who owns the ‘club’ ?

Tinwheeler replied on 07/04/2022 08:46

Posted on 07/04/2022 08:46

Yes, the members.

No shareholders, no dividends, no person or persons owning a financial stake in the club - just us, although it's sometimes hard to believe.

If the club becomes insolvent, the members are liable to the sum of £1 each.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 07/04/2022 09:22

Posted on 07/04/2022 08:46 by Tinwheeler

Yes, the members.

No shareholders, no dividends, no person or persons owning a financial stake in the club - just us, although it's sometimes hard to believe.

If the club becomes insolvent, the members are liable to the sum of £1 each.

Posted on 07/04/2022 09:22

Wow😳, thanks for that Tinny, it’s a shocker mind. I’d read it & heard it but I was convinced it was just a throwback to when everyone wore suits & ties in the last century. Club members?, I thought we were mushrooms🤷🏻‍♂️. I need to lay down & assimilate that info😊

Tinwheeler replied on 07/04/2022 09:47

Posted on 07/04/2022 09:22 by Rocky 2 buckets

Wow😳, thanks for that Tinny, it’s a shocker mind. I’d read it & heard it but I was convinced it was just a throwback to when everyone wore suits & ties in the last century. Club members?, I thought we were mushrooms🤷🏻‍♂️. I need to lay down & assimilate that info😊

Posted on 07/04/2022 09:47

Mushrooms indeed, Rocky. As with all such things, the members/committees employ business folk to do the day to day running and we are in their hands. To what extent they're given free rein, I don't know but it sometimes sure feels like being in a dark place while they steam ahead on an unknown track.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 07/04/2022 13:26

Posted on 07/04/2022 09:47 by Tinwheeler

Mushrooms indeed, Rocky. As with all such things, the members/committees employ business folk to do the day to day running and we are in their hands. To what extent they're given free rein, I don't know but it sometimes sure feels like being in a dark place while they steam ahead on an unknown track.

Posted on 07/04/2022 13:26

I own shares in a few institutions TW, I get emails to attend AGM’s & various chances to vote & with that comes-if you don’t want to attend ‘tick this box’ we will send you a proxy vote email. That is what I call inclusive. These companies do everything they can to ensure I have my say👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Takethedogalong replied on 07/04/2022 14:14

Posted on 07/04/2022 14:14

I watched the Club’s AGM on Zoom last year, after submitting my voting choices and a question on line. The AGM was just two or three officials running through a report, which was quite interesting. But far too much valuable time (in my opinion) is spent on the Committee side of things, thank you’s, flowers, speeches. It needs some hard questions to be asked from the floor, and more focus on all the questions asked. It’s easy for the Club to formulate a bog standard response if they know the questions up front. The challenge comes from dealing with the unknown questions. Keep the thank you’s brief and get stuck into the business side of things. It needs a much better cross section of the Membership contributing as well. Less backslapping, and more any other business.

Pathfinder replied on 07/04/2022 16:01

Posted on 07/04/2022 16:01

So who decides the level of remuneration’s for the various posts held, seems to me there is some dead wood being carried in this organisation.

Tinwheeler replied on 07/04/2022 17:16

Posted on 07/04/2022 17:16

You do by voting either for a motion to be carried or by voting for council members to make such decisions on your behalf.

Check the Site Map for details of the Club's Governance and you’ll know as much as the rest of us.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook