Not so slim magazine, however

LPC replied on 27/08/2024 10:30

Posted on 27/08/2024 10:30

Just received the September issue of the Club Magazine. Nice it  is the normal size.The Government thinks that pensioners are rich and I would think we have a considerable number in our member. 

However the tests in the magazine this month:-

Car - £101865

Caravan - £26299

Motorhome - £79680

How many members would buy the Porsche for towing I wonder. I have not seen many on site. 

Perhaps the Club could focus on more affordable tow vehicles and perhaps starter Motor Homes at the lower end of the price spectrum 

DavidKlyne replied on 27/08/2024 11:33

Posted on 27/08/2024 11:33

LPC

I did know one person who had one of the original Porsche Cayenne and apparently it towed like a rocket! The Club's previous argument about testing very expensive cars is that not everyone buys a new car and sometimes the very expensive cars become more affordable as time goes by.

As to the caravan and motorhome prices you quote neither seems particularly out of line with today's average prices. Those of course are list prices and many caravans and motorhomes are currently being discounted. All the Club is doing is illustrating models currently on the market and I am sure if you look at the magazine reviews over the course of a year the prices will be more representative?

David

Hja replied on 27/08/2024 13:03

Posted on 27/08/2024 13:03

That Motorhome price seems about right for a new mid range van. Plenty more expensive.

yellowbelly replied on 27/08/2024 16:24

Posted on 27/08/2024 16:24

All new cars are eventually sold on the used car market, even the most expensive ones. Whenever I stay on Club sites I see many 4 years old+ Land Rovers, BMWs, Mercedes and Volvos and the odd Porsche so tow car tests of new cars provide useful pointers for possible future purchaes albeit probably used.

Simon100 replied on 27/08/2024 20:52

Posted on 27/08/2024 20:52

There was a brand new Bently towing a brand new Buccaneer at White Water when I stayed earlier this year.

That must be close to a £200,000 combination.

Wildwood replied on 30/08/2024 15:55

Posted on 30/08/2024 15:55

I think the club is for all and a few members will want a caravan for towing and the rest of us can dream. I know cars with towbars are harder to find for magazines to review so they sometimes have to review what hey are left with. Presumably fitting the tow bar suggests Porsche are looking to promote the car for towing. 

The caravan looks fairly cheap by todays standards and the motorhome average. Certainly motorhomes are expensive but do retain their value quite well. 

DavidKlyne replied on 30/08/2024 17:22

Posted on 30/08/2024 17:22

The latest magazine arrived today, not sure I didn't prefer the thinner version as it seems to have gone back to its jumbled layout? DG eulogising about a pub that won an award, saying it was only a 40 minute walk from the nearby Club site! I make that about 3 miles which I suspect many members would struggle with?

David

PaulAbroad replied on 03/09/2024 20:00

Posted on 30/08/2024 17:22 by DavidKlyne

The latest magazine arrived today, not sure I didn't prefer the thinner version as it seems to have gone back to its jumbled layout? DG eulogising about a pub that won an award, saying it was only a 40 minute walk from the nearby Club site! I make that about 3 miles which I suspect many members would struggle with?

David

Posted on 03/09/2024 20:00

I had a rare moan about the Club re the August magazine, not about what they'd done, more the way they'd gone about it in secret-squirrel fashion. And now, the September edition has done a volte face, and in a similar manner by not acknowledging that (presumably) they'd had a negative reaction to the slimming down decision. It's really odd behaviour by the Club I've been a member of for 42 years. I think they should come clean. 

DavidKlyne replied on 03/09/2024 21:12

Posted on 03/09/2024 21:12

I seem to recall a survey on the subject of the magazine sometime ago? One of the questions was about the frequency of the magazine and whether it should remain monthly. Perhaps the "slim" magazine was a move in that direction with every other month being a full fat magazine and alternate months a slimmed down version just for news and updates? As you say it would be nice to have some information from the Club. 

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook