March magazine - shedding light on torches.

rogher replied on 29/02/2016 10:24

Posted on 29/02/2016 10:24

I note that, in this month’s review of torches, another double-page spread of newsprint is wasted. It amounts to a free advertising space for six different products. A wide variety, perhaps, but not all were torches and it was difficult o draw comparison. I would like to have known how long each would last before the battery was flat and how bright they are. Although weights were provided, it wasn’t clear whether that included batteries or not.

Next month we are promised a review of sleeping bags but I wouldn’t wait. Simply learn to use the web, if you’re in the market for a sleeping bag, and you’ll be much better informed.

Wildwood replied on 29/02/2016 20:54

Posted on 29/02/2016 20:54

Given there are probably hundreds of torches on the market not syre how you pick on six. Still it does tell you a few that work if you are looki g for one.

The problem with comparing life on a set of batteries it will depend more on tbhe type of battery you use than anything else.

SteveL replied on 02/03/2016 10:08

Posted on 02/03/2016 10:08

We always carry a couple of head torches with when away in the van. Very useful for the night time visit to the pub and much more useful than a hand torch when changing the gas on the dark side of the van.

TheAdmiral replied on 02/03/2016 10:57

Posted on 02/03/2016 10:57

We always carry a couple of head torches with when away in the van. Very useful for the night time visit to the pub and much more useful than a hand torch when changing the gas on the dark side of the van.

Quite handy too when I worked in a Colliery

Admiral.

SteveL replied on 02/03/2016 11:06

Posted on 02/03/2016 11:06

Quite handy too when I worked in a Colliery

Admiral.

Although, when walking, I ended up carrying the light as much as wearing it on my helmet, as otherwise there wasn't enough shadow to show trip hazards.

tigerfish replied on 02/03/2016 13:59

Posted on 02/03/2016 13:59

I used to rely on the "Mag Lite"  range, a bit expensive but good in their day. They were technically old spec with ordinary batteries and bulbs, and I'm not sure if they are still available, following the arrival of the new era's light and powerful L.E.Ds in a seemingly plastic but unbreakable case.

TF

replied on 02/03/2016 15:56

Posted on 02/03/2016 15:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

jakeontour replied on 04/03/2016 17:09

Posted on 04/03/2016 17:09

Don't get too excited but ...  you can buy LED update kits for your existing Maglite torches!  Brilliant, literally.

Updated all mine, vastly better light, much less battery use but retaining all the benefits of a Maglite for a reasonable cost.

replied on 04/03/2016 17:19

Posted on 04/03/2016 17:19

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook