Magazine on Windows

halohodge replied on 01/11/2016 19:17

Posted on 01/11/2016 19:17

Is there any prospect of the online magazine being available on Windows laptops etc. I have subscribed to the online edition but I now find I cant read it on my Windows 10 laptop, the Wife has a IPad but she says it fills up the memory as she now gets warnings that the hard drive is short of space. No comments about the actual magazine, I personally dont mind it, good advert for trousers which I used so it does have it`s uses. Excuse spelling mistake on header, you know what it means.

DavidKlyne replied on 01/11/2016 20:48

Posted on 01/11/2016 20:48

I would have thought that for windows having it available as a PDF file which you could download would be enough. I am not sure if its still the same but many magazines are assembled as PDF's to send to the printers. It would also be handy for printing parts of the magazine if that was requird?

David

PS edited the thread title for you.

brue replied on 01/11/2016 21:16

Posted on 01/11/2016 21:16

We used to have a digital version on here, I miss it and found it useful.  It's only avavilable now on certain devices details in the magazine app section.

nelliethehooker replied on 01/11/2016 21:24

Posted on 01/11/2016 21:24

We used to have a digital version on here, I miss it and found it useful.  It's only avavilable now on certain devices details in the magazine app section.

I wonder why they've removed the digital version from here. I can't be bothered to try using the app on my phone.

SteveL replied on 01/11/2016 22:40

Posted on 01/11/2016 22:40

Is there any prospect of the online magazine being available on Windows laptops etc. I have subscribed to the online edition but I now find I cant read it on my Windows 10 laptop, the Wife has a IPad but she says it fills up the memory as she now gets warnings that the hard drive is short of space. No comments about the actual magazine, I personally dont mind it, good advert for trousers which I used so it does have it`s uses. Excuse spelling mistake on header, you know what it means.

I reference to the lack of memory, I posted the following on another thread about the mag. It could well explain the warnings:-

I have just noticed that the magazine app had consumed 1.4 Gb on my iPad, despite only having two mags downloaded. I generally delete them after I have looked at them. After deleting all the mags the app was still 1Gb, so I Deleted User and reinstalled the app. It now showed at 200 Mb, so it looks as though it was not giving all the memory back when mags were Deleted User. A quick test showed they seem to have fixed this, but mags are still 200 Mb a time. So you would not want to store many on your device, unless you have plenty of surpluse memory.

replied on 02/11/2016 06:10

Posted on 02/11/2016 06:10

I wonder why they've removed the digital version from here. I can't be bothered to try using the app on my phone.

Same here. And of course some don't have a pad etc. Up until this year I have used a 12'' laptop whilst away

SteveL replied on 02/11/2016 08:41

Posted on 02/11/2016 08:41

Looks like it's up to its old tricks again. When I re downloaded the app it was 200 MB, loaded one mag about 430 MB total. I have just checked after loading a second and it's up to 780 MB. So either this mag is very heavy on memory, or something is amiss. 

replied on 02/11/2016 09:28

Posted on 02/11/2016 09:28

I tried the App a while ago and got shut PDQ. Sooner have acccess to a PDF

Tarmyn replied on 02/11/2016 12:35

Posted on 02/11/2016 12:35

Trying to navigate the Magazine App on your iphone is not good,please can we have it available for our Laptops.

SteveL replied on 02/11/2016 17:35

Posted on 02/11/2016 17:35

I tend to let about a months worth of daily and weekend newspapers build up, before I delete them. I just checked and at just over a month I am up to 878 MB. Yet two mags is 780 MB. Something must be wrong. Given that the app is designed for pads and phones with expensive SSD's, that often are not that large and working near the limit, designing such a memory hungry app does not make sense.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook